Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a alpine head unit into my 79 nova 4 door. The wires that run into the stock AM radio are a yellow, black, and grey. Im tring to figure out which one is a constant power, which is a power to turn it on when the car turns on and which is a ground.... Also can I hook the dimmer up to the dimmer for my gauge cluster lights? because I do have a dimmer wire coming from my head unit. Also can you tell me which wire is the positive from the stock front speaker and which is the negative... dark green or light green?

·
Registered
932 Posts
l wish i could help, but your not gona like my answer
l tryed using the stock 3 wire thats existing in the harness but trust me it is easyer to just dissconnect the existing power wire from the fuse pannel for the radio and running a new wire
then using the batt connection on the fuse pannel for a continous power source run a new wire
then just ground your deck to the metal frame in the dash for a ground.

it sounds complex but it is actully easy call me if u need help 1-519-396-4735

·
Registered
566 Posts
It ain't too hard to figure it out, just need a volt meter or a test light.

One of the wires will be 'hot' all the time. find that one with the ignition off.

then turn the ignition on. Find which one switches on.

Now look for one which comes on with the headlights. rotate the lights switch knob, and the voltage should go up and down as you dim the dash lights.

A quick guess for you: the yellow is going to be switched hot, the grey is going to be dash light, and the black will be ground, the dark green will be the speaker (-).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts