Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 78 Coupe Nova and the factory bench seat seemed mounted further back (I suppose because the door is longer.

Now I have a rare 79 6cyl 4-door with near mint interior fabrics, so I want to keep the bench seat with the brown plaid design. But the seat is so far forward when all the way back on its tracks that it is very difficult for me to get my feet out the door without full contortionist movements. I could bet the seat was mounted further up, due to the door being shorter. But if i'm going to keep this car, I HAVE to move the seat back to where the coupes would be. So my question is - Are their two mount points in the same pan, or did the use different floor pans, or different seat tracks, or what?

How do i do this mod, and how involved is it?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. This car has been in dry dry northern mountain plains of Montana and has zero rust, and very litle waer on the insides. Only the body needs blocking and painting (no real dents even!), and the motor was recently gone through. It's like being with an old friend to drive it, I just want to get the seat to go back so I can get in and out!

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi oldrednova,

Welcome to Steve's site!

Floor pans and seat mounting holes are the same for all body styles with bench seats. I'm pretty sure the seat tracks are the same too but the 2dr ones might possibly allow for more rearward travel.

If changing to a set of 2dr seat tracks doesn't do the trick, it should be fairly easy to fabricate some re-locating brackets that'll allow you to move the seat back a few inches without having to cut or modify any parts of the car.

For example, get a couple pieces of 1/4" x 1-1/4" or so steel flat bar about 17" or 18" long. Drill two sets of holes in each bar (total of 4 holes, 5/16" diameter). Each set of holes should be 14-1/2" apart (that's how far apart the seat mounting holes are spaced if I remember correctly). Offset each set of holes 2" to 3" or however far back you want to move the seat. Place some 5/16" x 1" bolts through one set of holes and weld the bolt heads to the steel bar. These will serve as mounting studs for the seat. Use the other set of holes to bolt the bars down to the existing seat mounting holes in the floor of the car with the "studs" facing upward. Fasten the seat to the new mounting studs with some washers and nuts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a great idea about the seat brackets. If the seat tracks are indeed the same, I'll do just what you suggested. Thank you for the very good instructions on building them!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts