Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 78 nova has straight 6 and I'm swapping out bad parts so I figured out how to remove the alt. How to I release the tension on the water pump belt so I can swap out the water pump

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has power steering no ac on the belt it has air pump PS pump crank and water on the other one just the alt.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
The belt runs over the water pump pulley, the crank pulley and another accessory. That accessory will be adjustable and the place to tension the belt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So your saying take the water pump fan off the spacer for the that and once you take that apart the belt tension loosens and when putting it together the same the belt will tightening

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
No, the belt that drives the water pump is adjusted by the another accessory driven by the same belt. You can remove the fan, spacer and pulley to replace the pump, but going back together it will not properly tension the belt.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK so I take the whole power steering pump off .it doesn't look like the alt tension its somewhat different in not understanding how it works

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think I found it behind the air pump its a bolt and in front there is one too I can see how it acts as tension to release the belt. Thanks. So I got the belt off and then fan now I'm at the spacer between the pulley and the fan and its not moving something tells me its bolted from the inside behind the pulley.am I correct

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I figured it out .looks like the original water pump there was signs of a gasket but very Lil. The hoses were rusted stuck are I loosened the o rings

1 - 12 of 12 Posts