Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was 15 years old I bought my Nova. It was poop brown and very rusty. My dad and I put a bunch of metal in it (including quarters and floor pans), redid some of the interior, swapped in a little 283 V8 and TH350, sprayed it teal green and made it a pretty nice driver. I blew up a number of engines, transmissions and rear ends while driving the car daily through college and running a few bracket programs along the way. I drove it to homecoming, prom, my wedding, and through about 30 of the 50 states + Canada. It's been a bit of an ongoing project with little changes each year I've owned it. Right now it sports a GM 260 horse crate motor, a 150 plate nitrous kit, a turbo 350 with a 3200 converter and an 8.5 10 bolt with 3.73's. It runs 12.60's all day, everyday and knocks down 16 mpg on the highway.

Unfortunately, the car has really not been driven much since my son came along, as it doesn't have a back seat and isn't very practical for baby hauling with a roll bar and race harness in it. The car is now pretty beat after 12 years of hard love. Time to address some of the deficiencies.

Here is how it sits - it's about a 25 footer for now:

Up close it has some issues:

The worst is the rocker rot. I'll be putting metal in there and in a piece of the floor pan. The doors are also full of mud so I'll probably replace them on this incarnation.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First things first:

Monster electric heater and garage insulation.

My helpers:

Handy hint - a couple of bar clamps make this job a lot easier.

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Basic plan is to leave the drivetrain and suspension largely intact, with the exception of the following:

-Converting from the TH350 to a Chevy A833 4 speed with an overdrive from a late 80's Chevy pick up. I have a Centerforce Clutch, Blow Proof Bellhousing and Hurst shifter to go with it.

-Will consider going to a set of Vortec Heads and mild camshaft.

-Will have a local shop go through the 10 bolt rear, it started howling a bit after my 1,250th drag strip pass this year. Apparently that many 3,500 rpm hole shots will eventually hurt something in there.

It's getting GM Rally Green, the 3rd gen Rally Nova stripe package and the 4th gen Rally nova grill and some of the interior accessories. I'll be Por-15ing everything on the bottom of the car, painting or shining everything and redoing the interior. A pretty basic restoration.

Kev

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Some of us "older":eek: members still remember when you got that car and all the fun you had with it:yes: Good to see it the second time around as well:yes: Keep us updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like your going to have fun restoring it the second time. I'm still working on getting my done for the first time. Bought it when I was 15 as well and drove it through high school, but has been in the garage the last 8yrs.

·
Registered
265 Posts
dude...shame your so far away..im in philly, if you were closer Id come help you out. Our 4th gens just do not get the love they deserve...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Insulation is complete! Built two loft storage areas and access points. Most of the insulation is R19 but I had to use R13 where I laid OSB down for the loft areas.

Andddd here we go:

Interior is out, started disassembling the trunk area and the glass. Rust damage is pretty minimal in the few spots I was concerned with around the rear window. So what should I do with all that poop brown in the interior? I was thinking maybe Por-15ing the floor and rattle can blacking the rest. Or I could spray the inside of the car body color if I want to be anal retentive. Any of you guys have any luck spraying the inside?

Kev

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got a few pics with my son tonight while we were working up in the garage. He's a good sport and plays in his playpen while I work. I figure he'll be walking, talking and reasonably coordinated by the time I finish this rebuild and wanted to capture the moment for posterity.

Mom even came out and helped my pop the quarter glass out.

Interior is now pretty much completely out of the car. I think I'm going to be a little more subtle next time and ditch the big tach and A/F gauge and not so subtle nitrous switches. My drag racing career is likely on hold until I'm ready to rebuild the car again someday lol.

Kev

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I always liked the way your 4TH Gen looked with the teal green and the hood scoop, but if your going to repaint it there is nothing wrong with a color change:no:. The body doesn't look bad aside from the rocker rot

If you could run 12.60's with a stock crate engine and a shot of NOS, Imagine what that motor would run with a healthy top end and a shot of NOS:eek:

How does the Chevy A833 4 speed compare to a 350TH for performance? I've looked in alternatives to eventually replace the 350 TH in my car (200R-4,TKO 5 speed) and most of them would cost a small fortune. There is nothing wrong with the 350TH for track car, but for cruising an Overdrive trans would be nice.

My buddies 1 yr old son likes to hang out in the garage while we were working on my car...seeing how happy my friend is to have a son made me realize that there is more to life than owning a Hot Rod :yes:

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I imagine the 4 speed will be pretty comparable to the turbo 350 in terms of performance. The gear ratio's are similar other than a lower 1st gear for the A833 and steeper 1-2 drop.

Progress Update: Rest of the interior is out including dash pad, cluster, heater core, radio, etc. Nitrous kit and battery are out. Everything from the rear wheels back is off of the car (bumpers, trim, windows, gas tank, suspension, etc). I'll start by peeling off the rubberized undercoating and grinding off any rust on the floor pans and trunk area. I'll be sending the driveshaft and rear end off for some professional attention shortly. New u joints, balance, new bearings, etc.

Kev

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
On my car I used black rustoleum on the floor and interior of my car. I applied it with a brush as a rust preventative measure. Its a lot cheaper than POR15. I figure if my dads farm equipment that has sat outside in the weather in Southern IL for that last 30 years hasn't started to rust; it should help stop my car from rusting out.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've found that Rustoleum tends to scratch, chip and fade fairly easily. My dad has done a few cars in Por-15 with proper prep and it looks pretty much like the day he laid it on.

Kev

1 - 20 of 637 Posts