Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 78 Nova, turn signals quit working and the hazard lights woukd just come on solid after it sat for a little while. Replaced the entire turn signal switch and both flasher relays. Not the hazards will work like they should, but no turn signal. Using am amp meter the pink wire to the turn signal flasher relay has 12v, and there is no resistance between the purple terminal on the flasher relay and the purple terminal in the new blinker switch. If I jump a hot wire to the switch purple terminal the appropriate lights come on with no flashing when I move the switch. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Welcome!

When you checked and found 12V on the pink wire that feeds the turn signal flasher, was that done with the turn signal switch on or off? If it was done with the switch turned off, try it again with the switch on (either left or right). If the voltage drops when the circuit is under load (switch on), check for a poor connection such as tarnish / corrosion on the fuse holder contacts for the "B/U DIR SIG" fuse.

The fact that the appropriate lights come on (but not flashing) when you feed power via a jumper to the purple wire on the turn signal switch tells me that your switch, lights, and associated wiring are okay. The lights not flashing is normal in this case because you're applying power to a point in the circuit that bypasses the flasher relay.

Note, you might want to try using the jumper wire to feed power to the pink wire on the turn signal flasher relay. If that makes things work, it will confirm an issue with the existing power feed circuit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I will try those ideas and let you know if I have any luck. So very frustrating when things should work, but don't. Lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you meaning the main connection into the printed circuit boardon the back of the dashboard for the ground wire? And wouldn't that affect the hazard lights too?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ray, you were spot on. I pulled out the old fuse, scrubbed the connectors and put in a fresh fuse and it worked like a charm. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
You're welcome! Glad to hear it was an easy fix.

Now that these cars are getting to be 40+ years old it's not unusual to find some poor electrical connections due to tarnish & corrosion. They'll often show normal voltage when measured under no-load conditions but won't pass enough current to allow the circuit to function. Can happen at most any connection point but seems to be a little more common at the fuse box due to the plated steel fuse clips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts