Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure where to put this thread. I have a 67 mustang but my friend gave me his 78 nova to work on since he doesn't know cars. There's a few things iv noticed wrong with it. It takes a very long to warm up. It stalls if you try to put it in gear within the first 5 minutes of getting it started, which takes a while too. It idles really high in park but a lot lower in drive. When you finally get it started and take your foot off the brake at a stop it starts moving pretty quickly without touching the accelerator.

Speedometer doesn't work past like 45. Fuel gauge stays full.

It's a 305 according to the VIN number. Automatic. I don't know what carb but its a two barrel.

Thanks for any help you can give.
SG

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
on the gas tank most likely its the ground on the gas tank and the speedo cable sounds like it needs changed.

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
Fuel gauge staying on full is the sign of an open circuit. There is a brown wire in the trunk that goes out through the floor to the sending unit, if it is unplugged or broken it will cause the problem. The ground for the sending unit attaches to the body under the car behind the gas tank, if disconnected or not making good contact to the body it can cause the problem you are having.

Speedometer not working past 45 mph could be caused by the driven gear in the transmission being worn out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Am I posting in the correct place? I will check for the brown wire. What do I do about the car taking forever to warm up? Carburetor rebuild?

Thanks
SG

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are in the correct section. Is the choke closing when cold and opening as the car warms? If electric it should open in around 5 minutes.
It does open and close. It seems like it should maybe be closed a little more when cold though. But along with not being driveable for about 15 min the idle is very high in park and low in drive. And for some reason the air conditioning doesn't turn on, but when you flip the switch it changes the cars idle!? I looked in the engine bay while someone flipped the switch and the part of the AC that is being spun by a belt stops spinning and the idle goes up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Also the pcv valve is really thick with oil. I'm gunna replace it but in worried what it looks like under the valve covers. What should I do to remove gunk from the covers? Do you suggest seafoam or other degunkers??

Thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
You might check that all vacume lines are connected and in good shape. cold idle is higher than hot idle to help motor warm up an stay running, might need to turn idle screw down a little. does the carb have a ac actuater (throttle up) right in front of the throttle, might need to adjust this a little, this works to compensate for ac drag on motor.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dunno what kind of carb it is. All I know is that its a 2 bbl. Once the car is warm enough to drive it tries to pull from a start. Does this mean the idle is too high? It's like the second my foot is off the brake it starts moving too quickly

·
Registered
929 Posts
It sounds like your idle is too high, check to make sure the throttle is resting against the throttle adjustment screw, if not check your cold choke screw on opposite side of carb down towards the bottom. is all linkage working freely. A picture is worth a thousand words. try to post one if you can.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Not sure where to put this thread. I have a 67 mustang but my friend gave me his 78 nova to work on since he doesn't know cars. There's a few things iv noticed wrong with it. It takes a very long to warm up. It stalls if you try to put it in gear within the first 5 minutes of getting it started, which takes a while too. It idles really high in park but a lot lower in drive. When you finally get it started and take your foot off the brake at a stop it starts moving pretty quickly without touching the accelerator.

Speedometer doesn't work past like 45. Fuel gauge stays full.

It's a 305 according to the VIN number. Automatic. I don't know what carb but its a two barrel.

Thanks for any help you can give.
SG

You should go to the Member Introduction section tell us a little about you and the Nova. Pictures are important so post what you have.

Anyway, :welcome: to Steve's Nova Site!!

:ragtop:

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Welcome to the Site :waving:

What kind of part(s) are you looking for ...??

Some thru the member(s) here, than e Pay or craigs, from what I have noticed ....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine did this and still does but not as bad. i took her to a friend and he adjusted the idle and timing so it wont fast idle so high. the type of carb I have has loose air adjustments even if you buy brand new, so it takes a min to heat up. My heat riser flap valve is also busted so that just adds to it. on a real cold day it takes me about 10 mins and then a good fast stomp on the gas peddle before she idles down. I know also that my choke down rod is not bent correctly 100% so it also takes a few mins to kick in. hope this helps im still learning as i go but mine had the same symptoms and with help on here its ALOT more manageable now
-NovaNoob :)

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
#1 is the drivers side front. 1, 3, 5, 7 on drivers side 2, 4, 6, 8 on passenger side. Firing order 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.
Timing mark is on dampener and a timing tab with degree marks is on the timing chain cover. Disconnect and plug vacuum line to the distributor and set timing to the specs on the emission sticker attached to the radiator hold down cover.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
#1 is the drivers side front. 1, 3, 5, 7 on drivers side 2, 4, 6, 8 on passenger side. Firing order 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2.
Timing mark is on dampener and a timing tab with degree marks is on the timing chain cover. Disconnect and plug vacuum line to the distributor and set timing to the specs on the emission sticker attached to the radiator hold down cover.
Thanks. Are the timing marks on the driver or passenger side?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just above the dampener on the drivers side, about the 2 o clock position.
Thanks. I'll try to find them. How do I fix the timing?? The distributor is huge. Never seen one like it. I think its called an HEI? Im assuming u have to unclamp it so itl turn. But how do you unclamp it?

·
Registered
929 Posts
At the base of the distributor on passenger side is the hold down clamp. You will hafta use a wrench or distributor wrench works best.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts