Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all.. long time lurker here adding my second Nova to the stable. A four door with very little rust and a very, very bad paint job done in the driveway by the previous owner.

I've been looking for a beater for a long time and this one came up on my facebook feed last week. After talking with the owner, it sounded so good that I was in disbelief. I went to check it out and found a solid car that has some rust in the rear wheel wells from the chrome trim holding dirt but solid trunk and lower quarters. It was a six cylinder car that the PO swapped to a 350/TH350. I'm pretty stoked about it.

Mechanically it's OK. The worst parts are the A/C has been yanked and PO rigged an electric fan in true sloppy fashion because he couldn't find a shroud. I'm looking for one if anyone has one to sell as I'd rather go back to stock and remove all the junk wiring he put in there. The brakes were done recently but the drivers side caliper is sticking so I'm replacing both. The soft brake lines are dry rotted and the tail light housings are paper thin and breaking up. have those parts on order. Other than that, there are minor things to do mechanically. It's a driver.

The rust forming in the trunk is new due to the PO letting the car get wet. I'm stripping the trunk, treating it with phosphoric acid and shooting it with 2K primer to stop it spreading. There is one small hole that looks like it's been there a while. Not sure if I'll patch it or cover it up another way. It's smaller than a dime. I have new weatherstrip on the way to help with this too.

It may be a four door but I think it's a really cool car. Obviously garage kept. I hope I can preserve it and keep the rust demon from taking it!

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks like it will be a fun car, 4 doors don't get enough love. I have a 72 2 door, and just picked up a 68 4 door that I think would be a great parts chaser, as no one was interested in it.

Mitch

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They got no respect when I was in high school lol. A 350 with a rumble is all they need to be cool these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
4 Doors are great !

I located my 75, 4 door in Arizona with 41 K miles. Original, 350/350TH with no rust. No body wanted it because of the 4 doors and I bought it for 3100 dollars and drove it home. The speedo turned exactly 42000 entering my driveway. I now have 50 k on it and have driven it all over the state.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How much ac do you have left? Mine was missing everything except the evaporator and I picked up the lines, compressor and condenser from an early 80's S10 V6 and except for having to bend one line on the condenser it bolted right up. While I was at it I used the entire S10 serpentine set up. I think I have a shroud but shipping would be a bear as big as it is. If you dont mine sticking with an electric fan the Chrysler Sebring or 300 fan fits the radiator perfect if you have the wide AC radiator.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pdlightning - sounds like a great deal to me. I have about that in mine and it's originally had the six. Now a GM crate engine, th350 and all the work done for the swap.

NCDEERE - teh PO threw out the condenser, evaporator and lines. I have the 6 cylinder compressor and brackets. the ac box is intact, just need to get a condenser and bolt it back together. All I need right now is heat anyway. the rest can wait.

How did the serpentine belt system work? the PO threw in a set of brackets. just have to install them. I've don the swap on my 72 jimmy before, no biggie.

Here's pics of the engine compartment now. Could really use a proper fan shroud...

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
The serpentine set up from a 4.3 V6 bolts right on a SBC. For the AC system I have an evaporator for the nova but everything else is from the S10 truck. Hoses and all fit nice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so there's no problem with hood clearance with the serpentine belt setup? that's pretty cool. Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very cool. Thanks for the pic.. look who's goin scrounging this weekend :D

·
Registered
475 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for the pic.. look who's goin scrounging this weekend :D
Get the bolts, studs and the little braces that you take off. Also take a power steering pully puller. It has to come off to get to the bolts holding the brackets on.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10-4 I agree on the factory mounting parts. not the same without em!

·
Registered
384 Posts
The serpentine set up from a 4.3 V6 bolts right on a SBC. For the AC system I have an evaporator for the nova but everything else is from the S10 truck. Hoses and all fit nice.
Holy hell this is useful information. Thank you for sharing!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts