Chevy Nova Forum banner

78 Nova door welds broken

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Custom Jim 
#1 ·
78 Nova no rust anywhere, I drove it yesterday and when I close the drivers door I noticed the window frame "move". Looks like the window frame to door welds have broken at the front of the door. Its loose and the top door seal is no longer sealing. Anybody ever seen tis happen?

#2 ·
Could one of the mounting bolts for the channel have backed out ?.

Rust may not be a player here but just the shock of closing the door can put stress on a bracket or panel and at a weak point then crack apart. I've seen this happen to top front portion of the door skins on the mid 80's Cutlass and Grand Nationals.

Might have to take the door panel off and see what is going on.

Jim

#4 ·
I finally got time to drop the lift and unwrap the car and see what was up. It turns out that the front of the window frame is brazed onto the top of the door. And not too well at that. If any of you have ever seen the welds on our subframes then the brazing is about the same quality. A little in one spot that was actually stuck and a small blob on top. I sanded the braze off and plan weld it tonight after a trip to grab some small diameter wire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.