Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a 78 Nova with the original radio still in it. The problem is the guy that had it before me took the harness out from the back of the radio, and spliced the wire's from the car that go to the radio.

So when I went too hook up my new CD player all I found under the dash is 1 Yellow, 1 black, and 1 light gray wire. I would assume that the guy who had the car before me had his own after market radio in the car, and took it out leaving those 3 wires under there.

Now I am sure black = ground, yellow = 15v? or accessory? the light gray really has me confused though. My guess is that it's ether unrelated too the radio (leaving me 1 wire short for my new CD player) or the guy replaced the old wire with the gray one that's there now.

Could someone tell me what the yellow actually is, and what that gray wire could be? or a way too find out what it could go to? I am stumped, and I already looked though the Chilton Nova book and it didn't give me the info I needed.

Thanks!

·
6,875 Posts
On the factory wires, Black is ground, yellow is accessory 12 volts, and gray is dash lights (on the dimmer).
The aftermarket radio will have a yellow wire but on this it is a constant 12 volts so that will have to be run to the fuse block and tied into the BAT terminal (use a 1/4" female crimped onto the wire end and it should plug right into the fuse block). The red wire on the aftermarket radio is the accessory wire which will wire to the yellow wire in the factory harness and the gray wire off of the factory harness may need to be connected to a wire on the new radio if it has an illumination circuit (some have this, some don't). If the gray is not used, cap it off so it doesn't short out.

Jim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts