Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've never really been a fan of the three lens tail lights in my car. I have a decent set but they are faded and show a few cracks here and there. I am planning on a repaint this fall due to a few adhesion issues with the current paint and I'm seriously considering grafting in a 72 tail panel and going with 72 tail lights but leaving the license plate in the center. Any opinions?

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
I agree the 3 lights don't look great on these cars. I would convert to the 2 light style from the 4th gens, rather than the 3rd gen lights. It will be an easier swap and it won't look like a frankensteinmobile when you're done. Just my opinion.

Kev

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,088 Posts
I've got to go with Kev on this too ... I think I'd stick with a 4th gen tail panel and just change to the standard 2-light setup rather than trying to graft in 72 tail lights.

If you compare the 3rd & 4th gen tail panels, you'll notice that the 4th gens are a bit taller so you'd end up with extra space above/below the 72 tail lights (that might have a tendency to make them look smaller than they appear on a stock 72). Also, the 4th gen tail panels have the top angled toward the front while 3rd gen tail panels are just the opposite, having the top angled slightly to the rear. The way the tail light lenses are molded takes that subtle angle into account and might look unusual tilted the opposite way ... a bit like this SS emblem for example --> SS emblem from Trim Parts on upside down?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is the spacing of the two lights the same as the outer two of the three light panel?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I've never really been a fan of the three lens tail lights in my car. I have a decent set but they are faded and show a few cracks here and there. I am planning on a repaint this fall due to a few adhesion issues with the current paint and I'm seriously considering grafting in a 72 tail panel and going with 72 tail lights but leaving the license plate in the center. Any opinions?

This a custom tail lens on my 78 Nova. If you restore them properly they look good.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I also agree with Kev and Ray... I think the smaller 72 lenses might not look natural in the space. I do think the 2 lens 4th gen would look better than the 3.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So RenoRodney what was your process for restoration? My lenses are sun faded and crazed and the trim rings are pitted.
Hello NCDeere, so for the sun faded lenses I first wash them well with Dawn liquid soap, then use a good quality plastic polish with a drill motor with a buffing wheel to polish the lenses. I made my own but if you can find someone with a hot stamping press you can apply the chrome on the outside raised ridge. If you can’t get a press you can use chrome paint and a fine tip brush. My last step was to again use a fine tip brush to paint the raised C with black paint.
The chrome bezels will either have to be re-chrome plated or you’ll have to find NOS ones.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would convert to the 2 light style from the 4th gens
What has to change to do this? I have a 77 Concourse that has the same, 3-panel lenses. One is broken and although I did find them aftermarket, I too like the 2-panel lenses and thought about swapping myself. Just have no idea what has to be done to change it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What has to change to do this? I have a 77 Concourse that has the same, 3-panel lenses. One is broken and although I did find them aftermarket, I too like the 2-panel lenses and thought about swapping myself. Just have no idea what has to be done to change it.
Part of the longer hole in the tail panel would have to be welded up and repainted. I'm curious where did you find aftermarket three lens taillights?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm curious where did you find aftermarket three lens taillights?
I'm trying to prove I'm not a liar.......I swear I found some aftermarket/repro lens for this model (since I need them myself) but I'm going through all my links and can't find them right now. I'm still looking though!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello KaraokeAmerica, it will involve body work . You’ll have to fill in part of the opening with sheet metal to accommodate the 2 panel. I’m not 100 percent sure but the 3 panel might be on a different angle than the 2 panel so I don’t know how good that will look. If you do decide to go with a 2 panel it technically would no longer be a concourse model.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello KaraokeAmerica, it will involve body work . You’ll have to fill in part of the opening with sheet metal to accommodate the 2 panel. I’m not 100 percent sure but the 3 panel might be on a different angle than the 2 panel so I don’t know how good that will look. If you do decide to go with a 2 panel it technically would no longer be a concourse model.
I’m trying to picture how that panel could be at a different angle given the trunk lid and the quarter panels are identical across all submodels. Am I visualizing what you’re saying correctly? Do you mean the vertical angle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m trying to picture how that panel could be at a different angle given the trunk lid and the quarter panels are identical across all submodels. Am I visualizing what you’re saying correctly? Do you mean the vertical angle?
Sorry let me explain better. It does look like the sheet metal is the same except the opening of the taillights. The reason that they look like a different angle is that the standard lenses are thinner at the top and thicker on the bottom whereas the custom lenses are the same thickness from the top to bottom.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts