Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trunk is almost totally gone and I am to the point I am about to have someone put a "floor" in for me to cover my gas tank which he is going to install for me as well. I am thinking just a flat 'pan' with a hinge so that I can access the top of the tank.

Short of cutting up a donor car (if I could find one) are there any 4th gen replacements available or should I just let him put a piece of metal in?

Can find the earlier models, but nothing for 4th gen. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, otherwise I am set to have him come out this Saturday to pick her up.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
761 Posts
As far as I know there are no replacement panels made.

I would keep an eye out for a parts car, but worst case scenerio have your guy make a trunk for it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think they are different. I know the trunk pans changed for the 73-74 years so I'm assuming they changed again for the fourth gens.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm... I know someone who just got a 74 (he wont know its missing, will ya Boyce) j/k

They are different as far as I can tell Bill is right.

It is the first (of many I am sure) stumbling block for me right now as I can't mount the gas tank with nothing to mount to, and I really don't want to put a tank in without something on top.

I am going to need a place to put some tools and a spare in case / when I get stuck on the side of the road as I am rebuilding her.

thanks for the input, so unless a trunk pan falls out in front of me or a link surfaces I will prob go the make one for now.

Thanks Bill and Rude for the comments

·
Registered
761 Posts
No problem. Have you considered a fuel cell for a temporary solution? You can make a case to go around it if you are concerned about having something on top like you said. I know you want space for tool, but at least you would be able to drive it around some while waiting on finding a donor trunk.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem. Have you considered a fuel cell for a temporary solution? You can make a case to go around it if you are concerned about having something on top like you said. I know you want space for tool, but at least you would be able to drive it around some while waiting on finding a donor trunk.
I have, but to be honest I had already gotten the tank before I realized how bad the trunk was. If I had been smart (yeah sometimes I jump the gun) I would have jumped on a couple cars with no titles when I was looking for one that had a title for donor cars, but I didn't and they are no where to be found at a reasonable price now.

The person who is doing the "pan" is basically going to put the straps and such where they are supposed to be so that I can run it and replace at a later date with either a donor pan, or (really hoping for this one) a new one.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
What part of the pan? If it's just the bottom and you are willing to beat on some sheet metal, it may be easier to form some sections and weld them in. The corners are the tough part, or you can cut and piece one from a third gen. It depends on how ambitious you are, and how far up the sides your current pan is.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I put a fuel cell in my car and framed it with a flat piece of 18 gauge sheet metal. it was a 19 gallon aluminum powdercoated cell from summit. I will post pictures in a few minutes. my car wasn't rusted but my stock fuel tank was. it ended up only costing like 250$ with sheetmetal, fuel cell and seamsealer/paint, but took a couple weeks to get it done after work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
sorry,
I thought I had pictures of the finished product but I don't on my new computer. I will be picking up the car tomorrow from getting a roll bar installed and will take some good pictures to show you.

carl

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
73 and 74 are the same shape as the 75 - 79. There are some minor stamping differences. Had a friend cut the trunk floor from a 76 and use it in his 74.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, the car is being picked up today I will let him know about the pans and see what I can get done. I would much rather have it done now than later, but I want to get it on the road.

I know the adage "If you don't have time to do it right the first time, what makes you think you have time to do it right later" and believe me it has been running through my mind.

Will see what I can do and let you fine folks know. And thanks for the pics so far.

Clif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts