Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1977 Nova with a 350 and I am looking for new suspension/ steering. I was wondering if there are any donor cars with steering/suspension that will bolt directly up, or if I need to attempt to buy aftermarket parts.

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
What is your driving goal - around town? Drag racing? Pro touring? That will help guide which parts you need. As for original GM stuff to use, there are not a ton of options. One option is to mimic the suspension setup from period Z28 / Trans Ams.

The suspension design on your year is halfway decent, far improved over the early cars. A full rebuild with good springs, shocks and properly sizes sway bars would likely make a big difference.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I know the late 70's to 81 Z28/Trans AM 1 1/4" sway bar and quick ratio steering boxes would fit. I have an 86 MonteCarlo SS box in mine but by 79 GM had changed the steering shaft diameter. A late 70's Z28/Trans AM box would give you more road feel and quicker turning.. Various OE type front springs from MOOG can give better handling (shorter-stiffer than your current springs). GM made a number of different coils for these cars which give you some choices re stiffness/ride height. Some go with lowering springs in the back--available through Summit. Poly suspension bushings can make a nice difference... I have poly leaf bushings, front sway bar and body mount bushings--all aftermarket but were a nice improvement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts