Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a 1977 Nova, 2-door (great car, hasn't stranded me yet.. it thinks its the general lee, and always gets me from point a to point b.. so don't let her hear otherwise or she'll break down). ;P

My problem is the GEN light is on almost all the time. Turn off or dims real low if the car is on a idle, and this is most of the time not all of the time. The funny thing it does do is get brighter on when accelerating, and dims some when you're not gassing it.

I have a hunch (I actually just thought of)... I think it may be doing this because of the battery I have in it. The battery powers it fine and everything, but it came out of a jeep truck. When my battery died I had used it as a temp, since no one was driving the truck. Then instead of getting me a new battery (jeep one is only like 6mo. old anyways) for the '77, my friend just got another new one for the jeep. So I left the temp I was using in the nova.

not sure if my hunch is way off or what, but the gen light didn't do that until the battery was switched.. but it also didn't do it the first couple of weeks the battery was in.. so any info or guesses would be greatly appreciated.

·
6,503 Posts
Check the battery negative connection to the fender. I had a similiar problem with my 77 a while back and after cutting off the original terminal end, stripping the wire back, crimping on a new end, soldering it, and cleaning the spot on the fender where it attached, adding a star washer underneath it and bolting it back on tight the GEN light on my car has never come on again while driving. On mine with this poor connection (was frayed underneath with only a few strands connected) the blower speed was sometimes fast and sometimes slow, the headlights were dim and sometimes bright, the wipers were sometimes fast and sometimes slow, and the dash lights were sometimes bright and sometimes dim.
All of the electrical things grounded to the body of the car rely on this one fender connection. Some car's also had braided ground cable connections between the firewall and engine which if present also need to be solid and secure.
Jim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BEAUTIFUL! I will check the ground(s) connections. Looks like today is pretend to be a mechanic and act like I know what I'm doing day!!:D The front driverside strut needs to be changed out.. luckily I just changed the rear ones a month ago and through the old ones in the trunk.. (one was still good the other trashed..so LUCKY ME.. ) Thank you sooo much for your input!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts