Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 76 nova concours that I got for a huge steal . Rebuilt the 350 motor & transmission it came with . Now I’ve got it all back in the car , but the gas tank was old as dirt so I replaced it . Blew out my fuel line to make sure it was clear & it was . But when I hook up my tank to the main fuel line I’m not pulling gas from the tank but if I run a rubber hose from the fuel pump directly to the tank I get it to start . Replace fuel lines ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Welcome!

Sounds like there might be a small hole in the fuel line that's allowing the pump to suck air instead of gas from the tank.

The most likely location for that would be the short section of fuel hose that connects the front & rear steel lines together. It's located under the passenger side front floor area, alongside the subframe.

Another possibility could be a rust hole in one of the steel lines.

·
Registered
31 Posts
have you traced the lines and checked for any kinks or smashed sections?

also, to check for holes like ray mentioned - blow the line out again, attach a pressure gauge to the hose at the pump and pressurized it from the hose at the tank. if it won't maintain pressure trace the lines with soapy water to find the leak. i would check all the connection point first.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi is this mechanical or electric pump? If you put gas in the carb does it start? If it runs check pressure if its
mechanical. Did you blow the lines both ways? You said the tank is new what about the sending/gauge unit. If it's old the sock could be clogged. Last who put the sender in? It could be in wrong and not sitting in the gas. Let us know

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
appreciate yall . yes i have blown the lines out both ways & the tank was properly installed with a new sending unit . also does anyone knoe where a fuse box diagram is for this car? i have no break lights and my bulbs are good . its also a mechanical pump

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
You're welcome. The owner's manual has a list of all the bulbs & fuses (reprints are readily available if yours is missing). There are also some wiring diagrams available here on Steve's site ... go to the "Electrical" forum, then to the "Best of Electrical" sub-forum, and finally to the sticky post at the top titled "All Generation Wiring Schematics".

The brake lights are on the 20A fuse marked "STOP HAZ" located near the lower left corner of the fuse box. If that fuse checks out okay, the next thing to check would be the brake light switch. It should be receiving power via the orange wire (that comes from the fuse) and when the pedal is pushed, the plunger should pop out, closing the contacts, and sending power on to the white/natural wire that leads up to the turn signal switch. And from there, the turn signal switch should be making a connection between that white/natural wire and the yellow (left) and dark green (right) wires that run back to the rear brake / turn signal bulbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts