Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 76 Nova Concours. An after market radio was put in this car with after market speakers. I noticed that there is no speaker wiring for the left rear speaker. I dont know much about speakers/radios/or electrical wiring in general. There is this one black cable coming up on the left side but it seems to be connected to the tail lights. I'm not sure if this has any sorta of functionality for the speakers or if there is suppose to be some other cable or somthing. Any help/photos/information about this would be great, I'm totally lost in this.

Attachments

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hard to tell from photos how many wires there may be. But, start at the radio. You didn't say anything about front speakers but there should be two wires for each speaker. Depending on the radio, should be able to separate sound from front to back and side to side. Thus two wires for each speaker. Roll of Speaker wire has two wires, one with a stripe and one without. Use the "striped" wire for the ground and the other wire for the positive. If right speaker works, mimic same on the left speaker. If you have the info booked that came with the radio that would be big help or if fairly new, might find info on line for that radio.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Railroaderman has provided you some good information, particularly looking for the installation instructions likely available online for that radio. Read them if you can find them.

I don't see any 'speaker' wire at all in the pictures provided. So assuming there is no wire to be found for one (or both) of your rear speakers, you'll need to purchase some speaker wire (at least 40 ft if doing both rear speakers. 18 gauge will be fine for a 50 watt radio and you didn't mention subs or amps so I assume it is low power ). I'd wire both speakers since your already doing one, why bet the old wire is good?

Assuming you agree, after cutting into 2-20 ft wires, mark with a band of tape or something ONE set of wires near both ends. That will help identify either your left or your right side when connecting at the radio and appropriate speaker.

You'll have to at least loosen the kick panel on the drivers side, remove the sill plate, the sill extension plate (found just ahead of the rear seat) and the rear seat.

Under the dash, run your new wire ABOVE your steering wheel (don't be lazy), down behind the kick panel, along the sills and up into the trunk area. I found it easier to run a snake (clothes hanger) along the existing cabling from the trunk into the cabin. Your methods may vary. Be creative.

Other than splitting the 40 into 2-20's, Don't cut ANY wire until your ready to connect or you may find you'll come up short.

Oh, and if your 'new' radio doesn't provide a fused B+ input, either use a spare 10 amp fused output at your fuse box (no other connections) or an inline 10 Amp fused B+ wire. Don't skimp on fusing!!
Connect as Railroaderman said and enjoy the tooonz!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts