Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'm new here to this forums as the 76 Nova Conours I just bought is my first nova. The nova has a 305 and a freshly rebuilt t-350 as its heart, with some kind of edelbrock carb on it as well. I would know the exacts but the car isnt here just yet and I didnt have the state of mind to copy down number when I test drove and looked over the car.

I know the 305 engine isnt exactly the best performance engine around, and I plan on dropping a 350 in it when I save up the money to do it. However, most external chevy small block engine components are interchangeable. My question for anyone who knows, is what combination of heads, intake and cams would yield the most power, for the least amount of $$$.

From what I've read so far, I've pretty much decided to install an edelbrock performer rpm intake. Other than that, what would you guys suggest for cheaper heads and cam?

And I'm pretty sure the engine needs new gaskets, any suggestions on a good long term set?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Good affordable gaskets - Summit sells a full kit for $30. It's the same as the Corteco set. I was impressed with the quality!!!

I'd put a 650 DP Holley or 750 VS Holley on it if you're looking to swap to a 350 fairly soon. Don't buy parts twice.

Edelbrock Performer RPM or Airgap RPM are the best on the market, IMO.

Heads - wait for the 350. The 305 has tiny bores and most large valve heads would interfere with the edge of the bore.

Roller Rockers, good pushrods, maybe a camshaft....

Probably better to work on the rear end and suspension before throwing too much more money into the 305.

Kev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so even if i bought cams and heads for the 305, would they transfer over to a 350?

Also, what would you all suggest for beefing up the rear end?

·
Registered
525 Posts
yes the cam and heads would transfer over to a 350.all small block chevys are the same size as far as outside mass goes.personally id wait on the heads until you build your new motor.i'd throw a set of cal-tracs or slide-a-links on the leafs and put a posi unit in your 10 bolt and a set od c-clip eliminators:D.if you 350 is going to be fairly strong i might look at a set of aftermarket axles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's always a gamble to buy parts off eBay but I got lucky and found a killer set of used Dart Pro 1 Aluminum heads, slight port work done and ready to bolt on for under $800. That may or may not be a lot for your budget but the point is the same. If you're a gambling man you may find a great set of heads on eBay for as cheap or cheaper than a good set of new ones. Check forum classifieds too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts