Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1975 v8 nova..was wondering where I can find an ORIGINAL or reproduction passenger side mirror. I feel like I've looked everywhere and can find about any other Nova mirror but mine. I've also seen lots of mirrors that are compatible, but I don't want some random, mismatching pos. I can easily get some nice bowtie mirrors, but I really want the original..HELP! This is the main reason why I joined the forum..

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hello BigFury. Since you own a nova, this is the site you need to subscrib to. You can go to the forum section & scroll down to the 4th generation label. They'll have all of the heads up on stuff for your car. Warning; people here will want pictures.

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
I think there were 2 or 3 styles of mirrors used on those cars. A bullet style mirror painted the color of the car, a chrome square remote mirror and a chrome square non-remote. I do not believe any are reproduced and the ones for other cars like Chevelles are not exactly the same (they may or may not fit). I would try local junk yards. I still see these era cars there in my area, often in decent shape.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
SouthBay2s is correct about the 3 mirror styles.

The rectangular chrome non-remote style mirror will fit both sides. So if this is what you have now, you can get another one from a 73-79 Nova and mount it on the passenger side. The original GM number for this mirror was 9826594. They're discontinued from GM and not being reproduced but that number might come in handy if you're searching for an NOS (new old stock) part.

As far as I know, GM never offered a passenger side version of the rectangular chrome remote mirror for these cars. I sold the last one of these I had several years ago, so I no longer have one for comparison, but I don't think this style of mirror can be flipped around for use on the passenger side like the non-remote one can. For reference, the original GM number on this style of mirror was 9614426

The bullet shaped sport mirrors were installed as a L/R pair from the factory on these cars. The driver side one used on Novas from 71-79 is GM #9882068. It has a remote control cable and mounts on a bracket.

There were 3 or 4 different passenger side sport mirrors used on Novas. GM #9626974 is a manual (non-remote) sport mirror that was originally used from 73-76 and mounts on a bracket just like the driver side one. GM #1701306 is a fairly rare remote adjustable sport mirror that was available in 75 & 76 and also mounts on a bracket like the driver side sport mirror. GM #20128649 is a manual (non-remote) sport mirror that was originally used from 77-79 and mounts with studs/nuts instead of a bracket (otherwise looks pretty much the same). I believe the 79 version of this mirror had convex glass with the "objects are closer than they appear" warning etched along the bottom.

·
Vendor
1,778 Posts
Thanks Ray_McAvoy for fleshing out the details. All good stuff to know. Here in California it is not uncommon to come across these cars, pretty complete, in junk yards. Are the mirrors worth grabbing? I normally take the grills, lenses, bumper fillers and any odd accessories. I currently have a pristine set of grills and lenses off a 76' Ventura that were pulled out of a rural yard in central California.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Yeah, the mirrors are probably worth grabbing too. The bullet/sport style ones seem to be more sought after than the others. But I have seen a few other posts like this one with folks wanting to add another rectangular chrome non-remote mirror to the passenger side. And seeing as how they're not being reproduced I'm thinking there is probably a market for good used ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts