Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help here...Im replacing my sbc with 454 bbc. Im looking to replace the front springs and shocks...Any ideas on what springs so i dont bottom out but also keep a nice lower stance? Please help. Thanks

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
What you can do is find the Moog part number for the heaviest springs available for your year (likely small block w/ A/C) and then use the Moog spring chart to look up its specs - Your car w/ A/C looks to be Moog 5278 and Moog 5276 w/out A/C. Looking those up in the chart will give you baseline values to work from. Your stock springs may be sufficient, even lowering the car a bit from the added weight.

Firebirds still had a big block option in this period and use a similar spring. The big block Firebird spring is 5376. That will give you an idea of what spring GM was using in a small car performance application. We used Z28 springs and Nova application proper KYB shocks in a 1970 small block car recently and they were a nice match.

It takes a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the chart and values, but once you get the hang of it, it is an invaluable tool for things like what you are doing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts