Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've decided to replace the entire front clip of my '75 Ventura with a '75 4 door Nova clip. Research tells me it should fit with no problems.
The sub-frame on the Vent is bent. The front fenders are wrinkled and have already been repaired at least twice
(found bondo and holes were drilled on both fenders) I don't think the fenders can be repaired.
The bumper is also bent in multiple places.
Can anyone tell me how to rotate pics? They are oriented correctly in my computer, but they show up sideways once I've posted them.
Also, how can I make them smaller?

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm new at this type of work and have never done this before.
Any help or even constructive criticism would help.

I got the hood off. Undid the bolts where the hinge attaches to the hood instead of pulling the hinges with the hood.
Figured it would be easier to get the hinges off the fender that way.
Monday I sprayed "Deep Creap" on all the nuts and bolts I could find.

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nice start! I can smpathize with your lack of knowledge on doing this. My son and I had never done anything like this before. We just took it one bolt at a time and took lots of pictures as we went so we could remember what went where. Get a bunch of sandwich ziploc bags and a permanent marker. Every set of bolts/nuts/screws from each location goes in a separate bag and labeled. If you want more notes to remember what you did, we put a post it note inside the bag as well to help us remember what we did when we took it off. Keep your camera or cell phone handy to snap a picture every now and then.

You are on the right track from our experience. Just take it slow and sure and you will get there. I would disassemble to 'bad' one first completely. That will be your education, that way as you disassemble the 'good' one prior to assembling it back onto the other car you will have had some practice :) Also when you get stuck or part way apart on the 'bad' one you can always go look at the 'good' one to remember what you took off to get to this place. We often used our parts car as a point of reference to remember what was what when a week or two would pass between working on it.

You can look through some of our pictures we posted in our build thread and the replacement parts we used.

Good luck and we look forward to seeing more of your progress!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MilesNova76

Your thread is what has inspired me to go ahead and do this.
I have read through the first 5 pages of that thread several times.
The zip bags idea is great. I also try to put nuts and bolts back
into the hole they came out of. Just wish I had a garage, or at least a concrete pad to work on. :yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
it is kinda hard working on the ground. a friend of mine made a wood platform to work on. he used 2 x 4's set 12'' on center an covered with 3/4'' plywood. screwed it all together. when the car was done on the wood platform he unscrewed all the wood an used it to start on the garage. an the zip-loc trick is the way to go, stored in a plastic tote. have fun on the project.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay, so I got a little impatient!!!
I should have removed all the wires that were in the harness
that goes across the top back of the radiator core support and back to the firewall. I wasn't sure what needed to be removed and what didn't.
So... now I know. Hopefully, I won't need that vacuum line...

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nice start. I see you figures out the picture thing. I have to edit each photo on my desktop before I can post them. both for orientation and size.

Suggestion for workbench. Find an electrical supply distributer or the like near you and see if you can get some of the electric wire spools. They make great workbenches and you can mount a table top on a couple if need be. Leave them outside, when they wear out have fire and get some more new ones.

·
Registered
301 Posts
MilesNova76

Your thread is what has inspired me to go ahead and do this.
I have read through the first 5 pages of that thread several times.
The zip bags idea is great. I also try to put nuts and bolts back
into the hole they came out of. Just wish I had a garage, or at least a concrete pad to work on. :yes::yes::yes:
Great progress!
Glad the build thread helped. We watch for and keep scrap carpet to lay on and keep under the work area. I see you got some big pieces of cardboard. We do that as well. Dropped screws and nuts don't bounce so far off the carpet :). Since you are outside, just pick it up to keep the dew or rain off...stuff it in the trunk or something.
Also if you have a pickup or something to carry wood in, you can go to most any housing construction site and ask if you can pull their scraps out of the dumpsters. Finding a nice large piece of plywood to put down is good as well. We also made our wheel chocks out of 2x10s screwed together.
As far as the wiring goes, take things slowly, checking and double checking everything is clear before you remove that last bolt or nut :).
Based on the pics, it looks like your radiator core support is solid. Those you can't buy new, so make sure to take care of it...clean off any rust etc and fresh coat of paint etc.

Question...are you planning on removing the full subframe? If so you will need to disconnect the gas line and a few other lines that connect to it that run along side of it. We have been happy with the Energy Suspension bushings that go between the subframe and the body.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice start. I see you figures out the picture thing. I have to edit each photo on my desktop before I can post them. both for orientation and size.

Suggestion for workbench. Find an electrical supply distributor or the like near you and see if you can get some of the electric wire spools. They make great workbenches and you can mount a table top on a couple if need be. Leave them outside, when they wear out have fire and get some more new ones.
Yes to figuring out the pic orientation and sizing....back in the late '80s thru mid '90 I was pretty handy with a computer. Now, everything is complicated.
I've been using the tailgate of my truck as a work bench. Definitely need something else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great progress!

Question...are you planning on removing the full subframe? If so you will need to disconnect the gas line and a few other lines that connect to it that run along side of it. We have been happy with the Energy Suspension bushings that go between the subframe and the body.
Yes. The entire sub-frame is coming off. The passenger side sub-frame on the Ventura is bent, BADLY. Both bumper shocks are pushed in. Even if I got new fenders, they wouldn't fit on right due to the frame damage.
Thanks for the heads-up on the fuel lines, I didn't even think about them. I've been looking at the Energy Suspension bushings. At this point, I'm planning on going with them. I live in the woods (as you can tell from the pics) on a dirt road that leads to a very windy asphalt road through the mountains. I would like to build something that handles very well and can take the curves like a little car rather than a land yacht... It will also need to brake well. Lots of deer up here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumper is off. What a job that was. Most all of the bolts and screws I needed to remove to get the fenders and wheel wells off didn't take much effort. Obviously, someone had put them on the Nova within the last decade or so. I had to use a 5ft pipe on the end of my breaker bar to loosen most of the bumper bolts and nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Radiator core support is now off too.
I'm thinking brakes should be next.
I unhooked the master cylinder from the booster and hung it so the lines could stay connected and not get bent. Also don't forget the E brake cable from the body to the subframe on the drivers side.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts