Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious a quick poll.

as my son would say "ok check it"

If you had 2 cars in identical shape, mileage, engine and whatever else.

One being a 75 2 door and the other being a 74 4 door which would you rather have and why?

I have a chance to buy a 75 2 door but I own a 74 4 door and I cant have both.

just curious.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Wow, what a great question! I'm not the knowledge expert on later generation Novas, so I won't get into the debate about values, desireablity, etc between the generations - the only reason I'll join in is that I think 4 doors have their own "coolness" about them that has been overlooked for years! They aren't as performance oriented, yet they were more expensive when new, were generally better optioned, and probably have more of a "nostolgia" factor with a lot of people. I just picked up my 64 4-door, and I specifically sought out a 4-door for many reasons, and one that most people won't believe is that I think they actually look better than some of the other body styles in 64 - the green house and glass areas are better proportioned, and I think the lines are more "balanced" in many ways. I'm not trying to argue that 4 doors are "better" in any way, but I think there are good reasons to restore one if it is REALLY clean and doesn't require a huge investment (I will agree that a frame off is not a good idea on too many "more doors"). Just so you know, a 62 4-door Nova took a coveted top 20 honor at last year's Labor Day Cruise in Costa Mesa, so don't kick that 4-door to the curb yet - I think the interest in these will grow!!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, what a great question! I'm not the knowledge expert on later generation Novas, so I won't get into the debate about values, desireablity, etc between the generations - the only reason I'll join in is that I think 4 doors have their own "coolness" about them that has been overlooked for years! They aren't as performance oriented, yet they were more expensive when new, were generally better optioned, and probably have more of a "nostolgia" factor with a lot of people. I just picked up my 64 4-door, and I specifically sought out a 4-door for many reasons, and one that most people won't believe is that I think they actually look better than some of the other body styles in 64 - the green house and glass areas are better proportioned, and I think the lines are more "balanced" in many ways. I'm not trying to argue that 4 doors are "better" in any way, but I think there are good reasons to restore one if it is REALLY clean and doesn't require a huge investment (I will agree that a frame off is not a good idea on too many "more doors"). Just so you know, a 62 4-door Nova took a coveted top 20 honor at last year's Labor Day Cruise in Costa Mesa, so don't kick that 4-door to the curb yet - I think the interest in these will grow!!!
The only difference between a 74 4 door and a 74 2 door is ofcourse 2 extra doors and the 4 door is 1" taller.....I too like 4 doors. I have a family and friends and its just easier. But you cant get away from the people that say "Great car too bad its a 4 door" I pretend it doesnt bother me but it does a little.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I LOVE third gen more door cars :yes:

But it depends on what you want out of the car. If just a cruiser and fun car, the four door, but if you want a car that gets more attention or to build up, I would say the fourth gen.

I really don't think fourth gen cars get the respect they deserve :no:
They come with disc brakes, handle pretty decent, can be had for less, and there are some pretty sweet looking versions out there.

I would like to have both, but it matters what you want out of it :confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
2 Door

Just for the fact that it's sportier in the sense of image. But I like 74s better than 75s. I'd just keep looking you'll find something. It never fails that after I spend my money on a car I have been looking for, a better one pops up for less after I already bought this one.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just for the fact that it's sportier in the sense of image. But I like 74s better than 75s. I'd just keep looking you'll find something. It never fails that after I spend my money on a car I have been looking for, a better one pops up for less after I already bought this one.
I have a 74 4 door....but I found a 75 2 door that looks good...

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The 75 2 door may be more fun and worthwhile as far as resale goes, but some may not see much difference between a 3rd gen 4 door vs. a 4th gen 2 door.

There has been the hope for many years now that the 4th gens will finally come up in price and it seems to be the case. The aftermarket is starting to catch up on needed parts but that process is slow and they have not really good for sheetmetal replacement parts. You'll have to hunt around for good used sheetmetal before finding something in the aftermarket.

Running gear for the 75 can be sourced from 68-79 Novas, including the rears. All 74s and 75s had the 8.5 rear (from the factory, anyways) which is the better rear to have compared to the 7.5. Per novaresource.org, the 74s had more of the better (3.08 and 3.42) gear ratios available.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I had all three, a 78' nova 2dr, 74' nova 3dr, 70'4dr, the 4dr looks funky unless you have a reason to use it like making a sleeper with a BBC, otherwise id go for the 75'2dr they can be more sporty looking and the bumpers arent as bulky looking, plus the front subframe although not as ridgid has more elbow room for different engines due to front steering location and different crossmember. 75' still has the good 8.5" 3.08 geared 10 bolt like the 74'. The 74' is also way heavier, but with all that said, go for the 2dr, id keep both and use the 4dr for work and the 2dr for play.

·
Registered
525 Posts
i think both are cool.the 4 door would make an awesome sleeper or whatever you choose.the fourth gen novas look real good with 68-72 front ends.

·
Registered
821 Posts
This will sound really out there, but I've always wanted to see someone build a Yenko clone (or some other high end SS/big block) car using a 4 door. I've seen a few wagons done this way and they look awesome, but not yet a 4 door (obviously he couldn't do that very easily with a 74). I'm talking done really well, correct wheels and bias plys, tar top battery, old license plates & frames, etc. - make it look like some factory one-off for an executive with a family. With clones being more accepted these days, I actually think this would not be a total loser in terms of investment either. More strange ideas from a 4 door lover!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts