Chevy Nova Forum banner

141 - 160 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I still need to do a little more work getting some lines straight. I’m not a body guy, i went to school for it almost 30 years ago, I understand it but I don’t have the natural feel. When its only metal and filler I get lost after I’ve sanded and applied a few times. I get a panel close then put some black epoxy over it. I can block sand next round, find imperfections and use putty or filler if required right over the sanded epoxy. Seems to be working. The pic of the cars drivers side is pre body work, just primer after stripping it. I’m bad at keeping up with taking pics. More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Got some work done this weekend, i bolted the bumper brackets to the bumpers, welded the brackets to the bumpers, removed bolts, cut the heads off the bolts (left the square) and put them back in and welded them up and grinder them smooth. Then I stripped the cowl panel and prepped the front bumper filler panel, then put it all in epoxy primer. I was able to get all the felts and glass in as well.
I also mounted the power door lock actuators into the doors, i have to get some door jam conduit for the wiring before I can hook them up. All the electrical is already done for the door locks and trunk pop, just need to finish things up.
I also changed out the door latches and now they are super tight when closed, NO MORE DOOR RATTLE!
We have a trip planned in the beginning of July to drive the car up to Mount Rushmore and then to Vegas on the way back to Phoenix. Looking forward to getting it out there on such a long trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
The bumpers look super clean..
Thanks man, I was going to hang them yesterday and “do the bolts later”. Then I put my big boy pants on and got them done. It’s amazing what a difference eliminating those bolts do.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Agreed, bumpers look great

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks. I’m sure after driving it a while I’m going to have to sand out some rock chips and reprime before paint. Once painted I’m going to have them wrapped with clear 3m vinyl. Such a small mad actually makes a big difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
a few updates That is a sweet ride! What headlights did you go with?

Hey guys,I've been super busy getting the car road worthy and building a 68 Bronco for someone else and haven't posted. The car isn't finished but I'm finally driving it. I've finished a bunch of loose ends and replaced the roof panel since last posting. The roof is in black epoxy primer now, I'm going to strip the entire car and get in primer before starting the bodywork, I'm having too much fun driving it right now to worry, plus I have to get the Bronco done. Anyone know any body guys that do a good job at decent rates? I don't mind doing the grunt work but I don't enjoy the sanding, sanding and more sanding.

I'm finally laying down some concrete at my home shop AT THE END OF May which should make things go much faster and easier on the projects. AND KEEP THINGS CLEANER!

I've been hitting up the Pavillions here and there and also 67th and Bell on Saturday nights, anyone go out to those? Are there any other cruise nights around? I don't really have any hot rod friends out here in AZ and would like to start networking. I don't seem to be good at communicating well with people on the forum...my bad....I'm working on it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Thank you! The headlights are from truck lite. I like the dark look to them, it will help complete the look when blacking out the grill and headlight bezels. They were originally designed for class 8 rigs so they are durable and quality. I’ve also had them on my harley for almost 6 years now without an issue and in my girls jeep for 4 years. Had one go purple on the Jeep and the manufacturer warrantied it lo problem. They knew they had a bad batch.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hey 74lsnova, she's coming!
Have a question for you. Back on Post #136, you say you smacked "the Firewall flange a few times" and the fender then fit great. Exactly what is your definition of the "Firewall Flange"? I just might apply a whack or two to slightly adjust mine and satisfy my OCD. There's likely others who could benefit from knowing this as well. (That's just so I don't feel alone in asking)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
Yeah, I didn’t explain well. The fender bolts to 2 points of the firewall, the face and the top. If the face flange is touching the firewall without a shim and you hate the gap..... take the fender off, use a deadblow or mallet and tap the face flange forward and test fit. Using a deadblow mallet I gave it a light to medium solid, flat smacks, don’t do it angry. Finesse.

Every car is different, this worked for me. The gap was pretty consistent but just too wide and It was hard to get the bottom of the fender to get tight to the rocker, getting the gap closed up naturally helped that. It doesn’t fall into place but easily manageable.

I think I have to grind the holes bigger in my hood hinges on the drivers side as the hood sits high in the back (1/8ish)with hinges as low as they go. The pass side is really good. I still think the entire nose needs a little tweaking. I’m going to ask a bodyman friend to come over after I get the bumpers put back on to come by and give me a hand getting the panels perfectly aligned.

I can’t seem to get my pass door to open as smooth as the driver. All new pins and bushings, strikers and latches. The release is smooth but it hangs up on the striker no matter where I seem to put the striker. The gap between the rocker is straight across even when the striker is removed.

My favorite it when my girl comes out and says “I thought you just put stuff on.....”

·
Registered
568 Posts
Lol didn't you fix that!?
At this point I've only got the "where did the car go babe" statement lol

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
Cars looking great man nice work!

Thanks buddy. Now tons of block sanding and smoothing. Probably not going to do much until the end of July. Got to play catch up on other stuff. We are taking it to South Dakota in the beginning of July so I might do some interior stuff before then.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #160
Thanks buddy! I like the components more than the paint and I agree with you! I still need to get it in paint at some point. It looks fantastic from the drivers seat!! Taking off on July 1st to drive it to Denver, then to Mount Rushmore, down to Vegas and then back to Phoenix. Should be a fun drive!!

141 - 160 of 163 Posts