Chevy Nova Forum banner

121 - 140 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
74lsnova - NICE WORK! What a stance! Perfect wheel choice! (Nothing wrong with a 4.8. It's not the size of the dawg...)
You poor b&AStard, having to choose a colour for that piece of rolling art. Better go vinyl so you can peel & replace at will - haha! J'es teasing!
Note: the red/black primer combo looked....raw and dangerous!

I know I'm nuts but.....does a 74 dressed as a 3rd Gen just "look" cooler than an actual 3rd Gen? Gotta get me some glasses. :love:
Tim
Thank you so much for the amazing feedback! The 4.8 is actually better than many mild sbc 350’s I’ve had in the past, I do have a 6.0 for it but I’m in no rush. I want to do some head and cam work before it goes in.
I liked the way it looked with the old paint and primer too but it’s time to straighten her out. The first thing my girl said when she saw the primer was “I don’t like it”. She liked it the way it was. I liked that I didn’t have to wash it all the time!
I’m thinking about going back to that color combo but it won’t have that same “raw and dangerous” look again and that’s what worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I was able to get out last night and start throwing some shims at the drivers fender. Without having the hood or cowl on I’m really impressed with the fit of the aftermarket fender after hearing all the nightmare stories.
the gaps look pretty good and the top body line aligned well. The lower body line is really close. Can’t wait to get the hood on and everything lined up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Note: the red/black primer combo looked....raw and dangerous!

I always felt the same way about this vehicle's appearance. Looks like it was driven so fast that the wind turbulence removed the color from the top portions of the car!

I’m thinking about going back to that color combo but it won’t have that same “raw and dangerous” look again and that’s what worked.
If your thinking a similar two-tone color combo, see image below. I was playing around with my Nova in PhotoShop to see what it would look like if I ever went this route.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Man....I’m starting to feel like I’m wasting a lot of time and money now!!

In all reality I want to keep it looking mean, I have no plans on making her glossy and pretty , I’m not that kind of guy. There’s too much time and money into it at this point to keep it looking like a project car. I went to Ace hardware to get some bolts and a lady in the parking lot said “oh, my husband has a Chevelle he restored, keep your head up, you’ll get there some day”. That’s the stuff that kills me. Under that crappy paint is basically a brand new car.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
View attachment 403179
I always felt the same way about this vehicle's appearance. Looks like it was driven so fast that the wind turbulence removed the color from the top portions of the car!

If your thinking a similar two-tone color combo, see image below. I was playing around with my Nova in PhotoShop to see what it would look like if I ever went this route.
View attachment 403180
I’m actually thinking about going very similar to how it was and painting the roof like a vinyl top and doing the hood black.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I’m actually thinking about going very similar to how it was and painting the roof like a vinyl top and doing the hood black.

I like that idea with the roof, I've always liked the vinyl top on these cars, but having the look without the actual vinyl would be nice

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
568 Posts
Man....I’m starting to feel like I’m wasting a lot of time and money now!!

In all reality I want to keep it looking mean, I have no plans on making her glossy and pretty , I’m not that kind of guy. There’s too much time and money into it at this point to keep it looking like a project car. I went to Ace hardware to get some bolts and a lady in the parking lot said “oh, my husband has a Chevelle he restored, keep your head up, you’ll get there some day”. That’s the stuff that kills me. Under that crappy paint is basically a brand new car.

Lol I think she meant well

·
Registered
696 Posts
Those gen three door/fender gaps are difficult to manage no matter the mfg of your fenders. If you get them too good then you risk the door rubbing (popping paint) when opening the door. If I were to do mine over again I would grind-back the inside lip of the fender in order to give the door a fraction more space to "tuck-in" when opening the door. Being able to close the gap by a 1/16th makes a huge visual difference when the door is closed.
Looking at even the cheapest new cars the gaps are incredible. The articulation of modern hinges must be the difference, I'm thinkin'.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Lol I think she meant well

I know she did. Real car people see the work and components and those are the opinions that matter the most. To the average person, it’s just an old beater. I get it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Those gen three door/fender gaps are difficult to manage no matter the mfg of your fenders. If you get them too good then you risk the door rubbing (popping paint) when opening the door. If I were to do mine over again I would grind-back the inside lip of the fender in order to give the door a fraction more space to "tuck-in" when opening the door. Being able to close the gap by a 1/16th makes a huge visual difference when the door is closed.
Looking at even the cheapest new cars the gaps are incredible. The articulation of modern hinges must be the difference, I'm thinkin'.
I’m still going to try and get them tighter for sure. Not sure to what extent I’m going to go.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Now that has a nice "feel" to it.
I agree with Ramportin1, the "look" of the vinyl top on 3rd G's really suits a 3rd G's flow but they're horrible for rust underneath. Hands-on experience teaches that.
Rifraf shows a nice example too - at least I like it. If it's too shiny for you,74lsnova, what about a denim or flat paint? Gives that primer look to stay "raw and dangerous" & easy cleaning but with some nice crisp lines to separate the colours ( maybe a fine separator trim line in a third colour) to also look finished for the odd "Mrs. Housewife" and your girl too!
(Geeze, now I gotta go scratch THAT itch, dammit!)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Now that has a nice "feel" to it.
I agree with Ramportin1, the "look" of the vinyl top on 3rd G's really suits a 3rd G's flow but they're horrible for rust underneath. Hands-on experience teaches that.
Rifraf shows a nice example too - at least I like it. If it's too shiny for you,74lsnova, what about a denim or flat paint? Gives that primer look to stay "raw and dangerous" & easy cleaning but with some nice crisp lines to separate the colours ( maybe a fine separator trim line in a third colour) to also look finished for the odd "Mrs. Housewife" and your girl too!
(Geeze, now I gotta go scratch THAT itch, dammit!)
That’s exactly what I was thinking, some sort of dull, maybe textured look on the roof. I think vinyl tops look great on these cars but replacing the roof panel from the factory installed VF was proof they are not healthy for the car. But it did get me to prime the roof black and inspire me to keep that look.
The entire car is going to be satin or low gloss anyway. I’ve put over 5000 miles on it since it’s been built and it awesome driving and parking it anywhere without having a heart attack about it getting scratched and dinged. We live in Arizona and there are endless and amazing roads out here and this wasn’t built to be a trailer or garage queen. We are empty nesters now and want to do a lot of road trips to events around the southwest. Let the rock chips begin!

·
Registered
568 Posts
That’s exactly what I was thinking, some sort of dull, maybe textured look on the roof. I think vinyl tops look great on these cars but replacing the roof panel from the factory installed VF was proof they are not healthy for the car. But it did get me to prime the roof black and inspire me to keep that look.
The entire car is going to be satin or low gloss anyway. I’ve put over 5000 miles on it since it’s been built and it awesome driving and parking it anywhere without having a heart attack about it getting scratched and dinged. We live in Arizona and there are endless and amazing roads out here and this wasn’t built to be a trailer or garage queen. We are empty nesters now and want to do a lot of road trips to events around the southwest. Let the rock chips begin!

Hey oregon isn't to far from you check out end of the world rod run there every year. Gotta try the slow drags at least once

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Looks like a good time, we will have to put that on the bucket list! We have a road trip to Mount Rushmore planned for july 4th weekend but who knows how things will be by then....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Messed around with the pass fender last night and was able to get the gap much tighter. I smacked the flange that bolts to the firewall forward a little bit which allowed me to slide the fender back a little, looks like I need to do the same to the drivers side. The body line on the bottom is high on both sides but the rest of the fitment looks pretty good. I'm going to take them off, prep the jams and get some paint on the insides and get them hung and lined up as good as I can get them. I think I'm going to go with a Matte or Satin Oxide red with a black top and hood. That should be a cleaned up version on how it looked before. Anyone need the fender "350" badges and all 4 side marker lights? Let me know.

pass fender 2.jpg
pass fender.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Interesting thread and you've done great work!

I didn't see anything about your wheel sizes/backspacing and tire sizes, though. Could you provide details? I love the stance and look you've got going on.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Thanks man, I appreciate the feedback!

the wheels are 18x9.5 in the rear, 5.25 BS wrapped with 275/40's. The fronts are 18x8 with 4.5 bs wrapped with 225/40's To get the rears to tuck like that with the car sitting 3" lower I narrowed the rear end just about 2" total. I also had to remove some material from the inner fenderwell and "massage" the outer slightly in a couple spots. I'm really happy with the stance and handling.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I went to Ace hardware to get some bolts and a lady in the parking lot said “oh, my husband has a Chevelle he restored, keep your head up, you’ll get there some day”.
Would have loved to seen the expression on her face if you would have said...

What do you mean? It is done already! :D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
So I’ve been trying to get as much work done as I can, did some body work on both quarters and the taillight panel. I painted inside the rear window tracks sem trim black along with the quarter glass trim and the felt flange. I got the drivers side rear glass in and going to do the other side. I took my grinder with a 80 flap disc to the front and rear bumpers and put them in epoxy primer....fingers crossed. Before paint, the bumper bolts will be shaved for a smoother look but I’m leaving the bumpers stock width, they fit pretty tight. The goal is to freshen the look up not totally slick it out. I still want it to look like a classic(ish)The side markers are going to be shaved and trying to find a modern LED side marker from a modern car that’s smaller and can be mounted flush, if not I will just delete them. Once the bumpers are painted I’m going to warps the front bumper, front of the hood and trim with clear 3m film.

I’ve been blowing off a couple other projects to get the car stripped and in epoxy primer so I can start driving it while I get back to other commitments. I’m going to get her back together and get it out there and put a smile on my face. The little lady is itching to go for a day trip to somewhere Arizona. Plus it needs to be ready for a trip to Mount Rushmore soon. I was hoping to paint it by then but I don’t want to rush it. At least it’s one color now. Well, once I strip and prime the cowl.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 163 Posts