Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
74lsnova - YEAR MODEL

Pictures (up to 3 should be linked in)

Year: 1974

Model: Nova

Engine: 4.8 ls

Body/Exterior: Old dry red paint, 2" cowl hood, all new hardware, rubber...ext will paint someday, just want to drive it right now 69 nova bumpers grill and trim

Front End: Hotchkis suspension 3" lowered

Transmission: 4l60e

Rear End: 10 bolt

Exhaust: SS flowmaster

Wheels/Tires: u111 us mags 18x 9.5 18 x 8

Interior: 1968 camaro dash, 2012 camaro seats 4 point cage

Electrical: Modernized goodies, remote/push button start, retained acc power, lighting control OBD2 interface

Accessories/Options: Still in progress

Sound system: Still in progress

Additional Comments:

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
paint

mine looked about like yours when I got it. I painted it first, just made me feel better with it looking good as I finished it.
enjoy the journey.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the car needing everything the budget was tight. I'd rather be able to enjoy it before it looks pretty. Looking at it shiny but can't drive it would drive me crazy. To each their own.... :)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Love the wheel and tire combo, looking good so far! :cool:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Het Rebob,

It's running but not on the road. I was able to make a lot of progress over the weekend and the Vintage Air will be here tomorrow so now I have a new project this weekend. I already have the condenser and compressor mounted, now it's for the fun part of getting the inside installed and working!

If all goes well I should have it on the road the second week of October.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like it. I prefer the earlier grill, bumpers, etc. on your car better!
Thanks 63ss,

I prefer the earlier bumpers and grill as well, I would have preferred an earlier car but this one was a deal I couldn't pass up. I can live with the quarter glass and I'm filling in the license plate area and installing a gas cap similar to the 67 Camaro. At this point I just want to drive it! It should be on the road before the picnic. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the wheel and tire combo, looking good so far! :cool:
Thanks 450, I appreciate it!

Besides paint color, wheels are the 2nd hardest choice for the car. I wanted the big lip look in the rear but finding wide, off the shelf wheels that will fit in the wheel well is a task. I'm trying to avoid shock relocation and mini tubs. So far so good, I haven't rubbed the tires anywhere but I haven't really driven it except around the bock. I might have to do some metal work but not a mini tub. In order to fit the wheels as good as they do I did have to narrow the rear end. Still far cheaper than made to order wheels.
Someday I'd like to upgrade to coil overs and some forgeline wheels but that's not realistic right now. She should be a fun street car that can handle a fun track day here and there.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Just now noticed the rear disc brakes, are those a kit or from a donor car?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a few updates

Hey guys,I've been super busy getting the car road worthy and building a 68 Bronco for someone else and haven't posted. The car isn't finished but I'm finally driving it. I've finished a bunch of loose ends and replaced the roof panel since last posting. The roof is in black epoxy primer now, I'm going to strip the entire car and get in primer before starting the bodywork, I'm having too much fun driving it right now to worry, plus I have to get the Bronco done. Anyone know any body guys that do a good job at decent rates? I don't mind doing the grunt work but I don't enjoy the sanding, sanding and more sanding.

I'm finally laying down some concrete at my home shop AT THE END OF May which should make things go much faster and easier on the projects. AND KEEP THINGS CLEANER!

I've been hitting up the Pavillions here and there and also 67th and Bell on Saturday nights, anyone go out to those? Are there any other cruise nights around? I don't really have any hot rod friends out here in AZ and would like to start networking. I don't seem to be good at communicating well with people on the forum...my bad....I'm working on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw your post. I used AFX Spindles up front which allows c5 corvette brakes. In the rear they are also c5 calipers with a bracket.
I used Russel stainless braided hoses for a c5 with bent steel line at the chassis.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've finally got the car on the road and got about 4000 miles on it to work any kinks out, luckily nothing major, just a few odds and ends. The biggest thing was how twitchy it was at high speed and how much over correcting I had to do when getting into the curves. A set of Global west upper control arms and another alignment took care of that nicely, now the car is solid at any speed and handles the corners with much more confidence. I've obtained a 50k mile 6.0 to build and install but for now the 4.8 will have to do while I get the body work done and painted. I recently modified the center of the dash and built a console to accommodate a double din radio, Vintage ac controls and some aux switches and USB charging ports. This weekend I should have the dash buttoned up and get the seats back in it as I want to be able to cruise it during the bodywork process as the weather is getting cooler here in Phoenix and I enjoy driving it too much. My poor Harley is sitting in the garage with junk all around it because the Nova gets all the attention... Once the car is painted I will complete the interior
Here's some pics of the progress.....

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this is a super late response,

All the calipers and rotors are from a C5 corvette. I bought the calipers from a vendor on ebay who rebuilt and powedercoated them. I bought the rotors and pads online. The front calipers bolted directly to the AFX spindles that were installed. In the rear I bought a 10 bolt c5 corvette bracket off ebay. The issue is it doesn't offer e brake provisions. I used steel braded hoses for a c5 corvette front and rear. KORE3 offers a rear kit for just under 1500 that includes all you need with ebrake. I plan on buying that kit less Calipers,rotors, pads and hoses for about 844.00

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought I’d be cruising today but things took a little long than I thought. This is the view of the dash at night with the VHX gauges and the Sony double din with a 6 switch console and a dual USB port with volt meter.

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you, very much appreciated. The swap in the front is easy, all the grill and headlight parts from 68-72 bolt right on. A little grinding of the front subframe ends to get the bumper to sit right and a few extra holes. I used a 68 bumper and bumper mounts. The rear takes a little more work. Using a 68/72 bumper and mounts, mock the bumper up to the car, mark holes on the mounts where the stock bumper mounted, drill holes in the mount, weld in nuts to the the mount and bolted it on. I was going to mount the filler in the rear taillight panel but I decided to just fill it completely in and modified the rear crossmember for the tank filler behind the plate, the other option was to remove the cross member and install a 68-72 cross member. Then the trunk pan does line up... It was easier to fill in the plate area and modify the crossmember.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts