Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question on the steering column gap of a 74 nova. I originally had some generic seats in the car and got a hold of a set of buckets that I restored and welded in the correct mounts to the floor to secure them.The gap between the lower steering wheel and the seat seems to close to me. The steering column fitment to the dash bezel has always seemed like it was to low. I believe if I could get this raised up it would fit better not only to the seat but to the bezel opening. I looked it over and it looks like the steering column is as high as it will go. I don't know if a part was changed at some point but I don't think the gap i have is correct. I have a tilt column I can install as well but the gap would be there also.

Then I was thinking the bezel was just wrong for the year and making the column look low.

Hopefully I am explaining this correctly.

They wont let me post a image so here is a link remove the space between w ww
w ww.sprektech.com/images/gap.jpg

·
6,558 Posts
I don't think the instrument panel you have is a 74. This leads me to thinking maybe the column and/or the underdash U shaped support bracket was replaced also at some point creating issues.

Under the dash is a U shaped bracket with 4 short bolts holding the bottom portion of the bracket to the column and what one could do is take those 4 bolts out, then also loosen the firewall column plate bolts loose and then see if the column will go upward any. If it does go up,it might be just a thing of finding a correct U shaped bracket or finding someone that can rework what you already have.

Someone else last year was having column fit issues and here are pictures of his and then a way I came up with modifying the U shaped bracket but I don't know if things got finished or what the end solution actually was:

Red section that would be removed to raise column upward:

Found the old thread and it looks like Ray says in post #2 that there are differences in the underdash column U shaped mount.

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651185&highlight=steering+column

Jim

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Looking at your picture, it appears as though you have a '69 - '72 dash bezel in your '74. And those years did have a higher notch for the steering column to fit up into.

To move the column up higher (and match the notch in the bezel), you just have to swap out the upper steering column hanger bracket.
It's the piece that looks like this:

You'll need to get one from a '69 to '72 Nova.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I originally thought the column strap clamp was wrong for the car and i thought of modifying it but I didn't want to change anything to find out it was something I was overlooking.
I did today try and loosen everything up and i can get the column to move up. I did have to loosen and relax the steering gearbox so the pinion wasn't in a bind but it did move. I have a tilt column I bought a few years back to install in the car and i looked at it and it has the same clamp strap as the one in my car currently. So do you think the tilt column is from a 74 also?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
I have a tilt column I bought a few years back to install in the car and i looked at it and it has the same clamp strap as the one in my car currently. So do you think the tilt column is from a 74 also?
Yes, the tilt column is likely from a '73 or '74 since GM didn't offer a tilt column option in '69 - '72 Novas.

Since you have a spare hanger bracket, you could cut/section/re-weld one of them like Jim described if you can't find one from a '69 - '72.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
could anyone tell me roughly how much space they have from the top of the column to the bezel so i can measure the correct amount to remove from bracket

·
6,558 Posts
could anyone tell me roughly how much space they have from the top of the column to the bezel so i can measure the correct amount to remove from bracket
That is going to be a hard number to come up with. Not too many, and I could be wrong, will have what you have exactly (70's something instrument panel and unknown steering column and related parts).

Personally you have to look and see what is going on to figure on where the next step will be.

I would like to say the crystal ball says this but there are too many on knowns.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a picture on facebook auto of a 74 for sale and the bezel is clearly different

again since i cant post images yet please remove space in address to view
w ww.sprektech.com/images/74.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts