Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
is this a real SS? im sure this question has came up before and sorry to ask it again but i would like to know if its real and how can i tell and if there is anyway that i can tell by vin numbers..thank you

nova newbie

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Most of the SS details can be found here. In 73/74 other than heavy duty suspension, the SS was basically just a trim package.

Nova Resource Super Sport package.

If it has this "Nova by Chevrolet" emblem on the rear deck lid it's not an SS.

Looks like the car was repainted, originally it would have stripes on the hood and sides like this. Plus the SS decals on the front fenders behind the wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
I can say for sure, but it has a few things going for it. There are no holes in the rear of the fender for the Nova emblems. Look at the back sides of the fenders and see if there is any evidence of the holes being filled in. It has the sport mirrors. It has the chrome trim around the parking and tail lights.

It also has the blacked out trim around the windows, but it appears like you have chrome moldings under that black paint. I'm not too sure how the blacked out window trim was done back then.

Does the trunk lid have holes for an emblem on the right corner?

John.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow glad i seen this thread, I guess mine is a true 74 SS then . A lil happier now :). Thanks for the info link.

·
Registered
469 Posts
In 74 the 5th letter in the vin shoulb be a H. Also it should have disc brakes,tach in the dash,blacked out tail light panel and around the doors, should have the sport mirrors on both sides that looks correct on yours, mine also has the console with gauges.the 74 had stickers for strips. hope any of this info helps thats about all the things i've learned since i got my 74 SS. good luck.

·
Registered
454 Posts
says it right there in the grill! SS

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
In 74 the 5th letter in the vin shoulb be a H. Also it should have disc brakes,tach in the dash,blacked out tail light panel and around the doors, should have the sport mirrors on both sides that looks correct on yours, mine also has the console with gauges.the 74 had stickers for strips. hope any of this info helps thats about all the things i've learned since i got my 74 SS. good luck.
Where did you get your info about the VIN having to be an H? The 5th letter should have nothing to do with it. It simply indicates engine size. In this case, H means 350 2 brl, but any engine could be had in a 74 SS, including a 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What motor and tranny do i most likely have?

So i can say a lil more comfortably that it is a SS. Even before i bought it i was hearing about fake ones that people were trying rig up and sell. From what everybody has said i think i have a SS and even though it sounds like a suspension upgrade and i am still stoked that its legit. I am Curious to what engine and tranny i most likely have...i know a 350 obviously but is there more to it then that? and besides a 4 speed i have no idea what it is, any ideas? Is there a way to tell?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Sorry if any of my info was wrong. All that matters is that you enjoy your ride and have fun with it. It looks like a great start.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 74 Nova, that I bought new and ordered in 74 was yellow, black stripes, 350, 4 barrel, 4-speed, 3:55 posi, bench seat with disc brakes, am-fm radio, heavy duty suspension front and rear, yellow,(body color) rear panel. My girlfriends 73 SS has much the same but exterior trim was a little different, with black-painted rear tail panel. The picture of the 74 yellow nova in the above link is a carbon copy of mine, as I had cragar ss on it also. Fender extensions were body color, in my case, yellow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts