Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '74 with the factory remote starter device under the hood (see pics below). I want to get rid of this unsightly beast. Can anyone tell me what the wires are, and how to eliminate them?

The thin black wire is a ground--it was fastened to the firewall.

Front...

Rear (sideways)...

·
6,498 Posts
Just to claify and not get anyone confused, the part you show is not a remote starter but part of the seat belt interlock system. Basically this is an overide switch that you can activate a particular way should the car not properly start.

You would have to look at a 1974 only wiring diagram (and I think it's here on the site) but off memory I think one of the large wires goes to the "S" terminal on the starter solenoid, another of the large wires goes to the nuetral safety switch, one of the smaller wires goes to an ignition 12 volt source and the small black goes to ground like you showed.

If you do identify what wires are doing what then you can splice the right wires together but do it properly so that if later there is a problem it's not from this area. If a wire is unused, then cap it off so that it cannot easily short out.

Jim

·
Registered
97 Posts
My 74 starts right up with that button, it just has to be in neutral. Naw jk i saw that thing on mine a few months back and it says start so it's not like im a woman and make thought out decisions, I imediately pushed it, then got pissed when it didn't start lol

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the wiring diagram and studied it. Was able to identify the wires, but it doesn't tell me what I can do with them. Two of the wires go to the seatbelt warning system. The other one (and I'm trying to recall from memory here) ends up at the starter.

What to splice, what to cap off, and what to throw away?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts