Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i need some help. i drive my nova to school everyday and with it being cold out, it runs a little rough but always starts up and runs like a champ, but one day i parked it, next day i got up to go to school and it wont start. it turns over but i got nothing, new coil about 800 miles ago, got good spark, and seems to have fuel. shot it with ether and nothing, played with choke and nothing checked all grounds, wires and im stumped

aslo, it seems the automatic choke acts up in the cold? anyone else have the same problem? often fliping open and shut while driving

ill update tomorrow afternoon on progress. thanks, chris

·
Registered
23 Posts
(fuel+air in proper ratio)+compression+spark (at the right time)=ignition

So flooding it would cause this problem (too much fuel to ignite)

Spark timing could also cause it (although generally there are more symptoms in that case).

How'd you confirm spark?

If the engine was running lean or no gas then ether would start it up, but if you flood it then ether won't do you any good. Also if it was flooded the plugs could be fouled. Quick test is to yank one, and put the electrode on some ground source, Use rubber-gripped pliers and hold the plug wire with them, have someone crank and look for spark.

There's not a whole lot to the starting equation, one of the 4 things I listed above has to be off.

·
14,585 Posts
Are you sure you have fuel? Can you see fuel squirting down the venturi when you move the throttle blades? Depending on how cold it has been there and how much gas you have in the tank, you might have a frozen fuel line or ice in the tank. This happened to me once when I lived in Denver. A good rule of thumb is never go below 1/4 tank of gas in the winter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hey guys, i need some help. i drive my nova to school everyday and with it being cold out, it runs a little rough but always starts up and runs like a champ, but one day i parked it, next day i got up to go to school and it wont start. it turns over but i got nothing, new coil about 800 miles ago, got good spark, and seems to have fuel. shot it with ether and nothing, played with choke and nothing checked all grounds, wires and im stumped

aslo, it seems the automatic choke acts up in the cold? anyone else have the same problem? often fliping open and shut while driving

ill update tomorrow afternoon on progress. thanks, chris
I know you said you had good spark, but was that before you parked it? or after? I wasn't sure after reading your post. did you check your timing chain? Pull your distributor cap off and rotate the engine, if the distributor rotor does not turn as the crank turns that would be the source of your problems. It would just crank and crank and crank . P.S. Do this check by hand, because if it is a broken timing chain, you could bend a valve real easy or worse. Hope this helps. Anyone else have any ideas? Is the fuel ok? my friend borrowed my truck and gave me a call one day said that it wouldn't start.. I rebuilt the carb, replaced the distributor, then finally realized that the familiar smell I kept smelling was actually diesel fuel that my buddy accidentally filled my tank with because he was too busy checking out the race car on the trailer next to where he pulled up when he filled up the tank.
Hope this helps... anyone else have any ideas?

Eugene

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when i checked the spark, i had my dad sit in the car and crank it while i grounded a spark plug to the block, took some ether and gas, dumped it in the carb and nothing, not even a spodder, fuel pump is working, and the line is not frozen. all the spark plugs are gapped correctly too. all i did was park the car and the next day went to start it up and nothing. im stumped. i would like to thank everone for their input, ill use it tomorrow when im free from work and school work papers, and i will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow

thanks forthe help, chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
r u running hei or points distributor? have u checked spark plugs 2 make sure u didnt flood them with gas?
yeah its not flooded and i still have the points distributer, was new 2000 miles ago, everythings stock on this car except for the exhaust and paint

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're certain you've got spark (and your points only have 2K miles as you stated) and ether didn't help at all then I think you've got it flooded. Can happen real easy with a sticky choke and "earnest" starting attempts (i.e. pumping the gas pedal)

Take off the air cleaner and stand on the gas pedal and crank it no more than about 10 seconds at a time. DO NOT let off the pedal and mash it again, you'll only feed it more fuel! If it's real flooded it can take a few tries to clear it out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it runs!! after charging the battery again, when i put it in, i wanted to turn the key just to make sure i had a good connection and battery, and the car started right up? weird, i have no idea what it was then? flooded maybe is the only thing i could think of as u guys mentioned?
thanks for all the feedback guys :yes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts