Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 Nova and I have a problem starting it when the car is warmed up. It will start fine cold when I go to work and when I leave work to home. But if I stop somewhere and shut it off and some time goes by when I go to start it again I have to turn it over alot. It was a new Edelbrock 1406 carb. I have replaced the fuel pump,plugs and wires,fuel filter and rebuilt the dist. When I am driving the car it runs great and I have no problems. I thought about replaceing the starter thinking maybe the engine heat it getting to it but I don't know? If anyone has any ideas that would be great.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Is it having a slow crank issue, or is it cranking at normal speed? Do you have headers? How close is the exhaust to the starter?

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Maybe vapour lock? Try a carb spacer or move your fuel line farther from any heat sources? Have you replaced the resistor wire from the firewall to the dist?

Just a couple of random thoughts.

Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys

It's cranking at normal speed. It's like it's not getting enough gas. Even though I had just drove it. Yes I have headers and the starter it pretty close to them. I had to put a carb spacer on because the air cleaner was hitting the dist.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Terry, how old is the starter? Does it turn over slower when you restart it than when it's cold or at the same speed? Whats the eng temp when you restart it.
Are the floats set to the right height? Manuel or electric choke.
Just some things to consider.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure on how old the starter is. Thats another reason why I was thinking about a new one. It turns over at pretty much the same speed. Not sure on the engine temp havn't really looked at that when I restart it. Not sure on the float height and it has a electric choke.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm going with the starter here myself. Sounds like you probably have the old brick style and should swap it out for a mini hi torque. You can go the Jegs performance route or even find yourself one from autozone for like an 01 or 02 Chevy Blazer 4.3L. Just my 2 cents, let us know how things turn out :)

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm gonna replace the starter tommorow and see what happens. Then go from there...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to let everyone know I ended up getting a Edelbrock Heat Insulator Gaskets that goes between the carb and intake. SO FAR it seems to be working. Hope it keeps doing so.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't believe it's a heat soak problem. With heat soak, the bendix either won't engage, or the starter will turn over extremely slow until cooled.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts