Chevy Nova Forum banner
481 - 495 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #482 ·
Passenger side door looks good. You think it got hit on the DS? Doesn't look at all mangled underneath, from what I noticed.
Ya passenger side is pretty good. I’m not sure. It didn’t seem like it was a hit from what I have seen. I may take it all the way down to metal to see what I have.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
So since the weather was nice and I’m waiting on parts I thought I would be a good time to get rid of the horrible orange I have been looking at for years and start the body work on the car. I did just about the driver side of the car and than got to some body filler again. So here are some photos and now I need to decided what I’m going to do.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Window
Tire Vehicle cover Wheel Vehicle Car
Tire Wheel White Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
I got the new front part of the quarter panel in yesterday so it was time to cut out the old and put in the new panel. Oh and I didn’t post a picture yet but the passenger side needs to be replaced as well. I will post a couple pictures of that one when I start that side.

This was the section I decided I was going to replace.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grey Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

Cut out the bad panel and I used it as a rough template for the new panel.
Rectangle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

I cut about a 1” bigger all around from the original size and trimmed closer and than used The angle die grinder to fine tune it.
Brown Wood Rectangle Font Tints and shades
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Once I had where I wanted it I took the panel back off to spray rust conversion primer on the inner fender well and shot the in side and The back side of the panel with rubber under coating.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Vehicle Automotive exterior
Rectangle Gas Tints and shades Metal Fashion accessory

Tomorrow I will hopefully start welding the panel in. But in the mean time I need to order one for the other. I really thought that side was good but I was wrong again.
Also I’m hoping my vintage air will be in, in the next week or so. Its been almost 2 months for that.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
Looks good! 2- months on the Vintage air huh? Damn, I guess I better get my order in soon.
Ya I didn’t think it would be that long but I had plenty other things I could do. I just want to
Get that unit in and I can start running the harness and everything inside.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #488 ·
Today I got the new door skin on. My first time doing it and it alright I wish I could of got the back up about 1/8 higher but I wouldn’t go. But it will work.
I do have a question though, I have had the doors off for so long I can’t remember the gaps on the them but both sides have more then a 1/8” gab the top of the new door is about 3/16 and the bottom is 5/16. I have new pins with the sleeve so the door doesn’t sag but I don’t remember them being that big. I know I can just weld the gap closer but just seeing if there are any other ideas out there.

Table Road surface Outdoor furniture Asphalt Line
Table Picnic table Motor vehicle Vehicle Outdoor furniture
Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Table Automotive tire Wood Bumper Fender
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Car

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,517 Posts
I don't remember my gaps either when I removed the doors and experienced the same issue. New bushings and pins, door was tight. My 72 has welded hinges and the only thing that came to mind is closing the door as much as possible but enough room to put a short 2x4 under the flat bottom part of the door and taking a small jack to it. It worked. Not a whole lot you can do.

The other possibility is the new door skin has changed things up as far as the gaps go. How does the top window frame look as far as alignment goes. The new skin would not have impacted that alignment.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
I don't remember my gaps either when I removed the doors and experienced the same issue. New bushings and pins, door was tight. My 72 has welded hinges and the only thing that came to mind is closing the door as much as possible but enough room to put a short 2x4 under the flat bottom part of the door and taking a small jack to it. It worked. Not a whole lot you can do.

The other possibility is the new door skin has changed things up as far as the gaps go. How does the top window frame look as far as alignment goes. The new skin would not have impacted that alignment.
Ya I ordered another set of pins and sleeves for and also a new door striker cause mine looks worn out. But I did put the jack under it and it moved it some so when I get those new parts in I will see where it sits and maybe do more as needed. Honestly I think it was crap back then I just didnt notice haha. But it’s a old car with new stuff on it so not everything will line up right. But I will do my best to get it close and go from there.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
After putting the skin on I had about a 5/16 gap so I got a 1/8 rod and started tacking it to the edge. Long process begins with getting all
The gaps right.
Automotive tire Hood Bumper Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber
Automotive tire Rectangle Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper
Wood Shade Beige Tints and shades Automotive exterior
White Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sleeve

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,517 Posts
Nice work, same situation here on the door/quarter gap. Passenger side is perfect and the driver side is wide. The driver side door is perfect with the fender but the fender only goes back so far till it hits the rocker. Looking forward to how it comes out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #494 ·
Nice work, same situation here on the door/quarter gap. Passenger side is perfect and the driver side is wide. The driver side door is perfect with the fender but the fender only goes back so far till it hits the rocker. Looking forward to how it comes out.
Yep my passenger side is good but that driver side was just a little wider than I would like. Hopefully it all comes out good.

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,517 Posts
Sometimes I wonder if the door was severely sprung. The detent bracket was broke and the spring was gone. Not that it has that much to do with it but I think the hinges got bent causing the gap. The welded hinges offer no adjustment and you can get the fender to look good to the door. But the door and the quarter panel doesn't.

481 - 495 of 495 Posts