Chevy Nova Forum banner
461 - 480 of 495 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #461 ·
So I don’t have a lift yet because the garage is to low so I decided to make some cribbing to get the car off the ground enough for me to get under and work. After getting her off the ground I got the holly transmission cross member in loosely so I can adjust it if needed. I also started installing the subframe connectors I have from the TCI 4 link kit. But just like everything with the 74s it doesn’t fit right away. I had to open up some of the mounting holes and I just need to drill and bolt them to the front clip. I will post pictures of the when I finish it. But hopefully the motor will be in with the transmission soon.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #462 ·
In one of my previous post I I was having trouble with the tiered making contact with the wheel. The driver side was the one making contact while the passenger side was not. So when I looked closer I noticed the original 74 steering arm was off center. So I order a new set to see if that would fix the problem and it it sure did. That’s one step of many finished. I also decided to order a new hotchkins tie rod sleeves and got rid of the old ones.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your workmanship is beautiful. Awesome build. When you car goes to the bodyshop make sure they mask your car to the floor, even for priming and blocking. Dust is one thing but you don't want 2K primer on the beautiful chassis work. It doesn't come off.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #464 ·
This was a few months ago but it was the first start up. Definitely needs to be tuned still be it’s running.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Your workmanship is beautiful. Awesome build. When you car goes to the bodyshop make sure they mask your car to the floor, even for priming and blocking. Dust is one thing but you don't want 2K primer on the beautiful chassis work. It doesn't come off.
Thank you. Ya definitely I will be taping all the way to the ground. Primer will be coming soon.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #466 ·
It was a big week for me. I got the 4l65 installed to the motor and than got the both in the nova. I did have to take the motor out and do a little massage work to the tunnel in a few areas to make it all fit. But I can now say the motor and transmission mission are bolted in for good. Plenty of things to get now now and I will keep them coming.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #468 ·
Well since the last post i made i was pretty excited to have the motor all in for good. But like always once I got everything bolted up i had a issue with the headers. The headers sat 2 inches below the transmission pan. I was thinking that it might not be bad and i could just run them. But I decided to stop everything and figure these headers out because I didn't want to ruin the headers. So with some research I found out that the speed engineering headers I had bought 2 years ago were the first gen set of headers and the rode a lot lower than the 2 gen headers. Also they didn't line up with the trans cross member cut outs. I was really bummed they werent going to work because i also sent them off to JET HOT to get coated and that was actually more then the headers were worth.

After decided how I was going to fix this I went with just ordering the headers I should have just got from the beginning. Hooker Black heart headers.

So I had a few options here to swap these headers but I decided to just unbolt the driver side motor mount bolts and unbolt the transmission from the cross member. I unbolted the header and zip tied them to the brake booster. Than i used the engine hoist to lift the driver side up about 4 inches until i was able to slip the old headers out the bottom and slide the new ones in. This was a little challenging doing it alone but I was able to make it work. I was so happy how everything fit so nicely and everything lined up perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·
Got a few things done this last week. I was able to lower the transmission enough to get the trans cooler lines made and ran up to the core. I decided to out some AN 6 bulk heads for the lines. Also mounted the radiator fans and shroud.

Question: The core support is a new one with the black coating on it. Is that something you can leave like that or should it be sanded and repainted black?

Than I got the transmission fully mounted and hopefully it will stay that way. Next step is to finish mounting all the fuel lines and running the power from the trunk up to the front.

Attachments

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #471 ·
How in the world did I miss this thread for so long? The parallels between your build and mine are uncanny! Nice work! Watching now, better late than never I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man, I have seen your build back in the day but just went through it again and you have some awesome metal skills. Your car is coming along nicely. I will definitely continue following your build on here.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 · (Edited)
@mbcky2, You finish this thing and forget to share with us?
Haha. Definitely not. I have been working on her still just slow progress and some little things. But I have somethings On the way and I will get this caught up on what I have been doing.

shoot I actually realized I have posted anything in a while. I will throw some stuff up. Plus I may have purchased another project a couple months ago. 😬

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #475 ·
Well I realized I haven’t posted much lately so I will throw a few things up. I did finish the fuel system up and that definitely felt good. So I decided I would start the power for the car. I have the battery in the trunk so I had to route the power and ground from the rear up to the front and I ended up running it through the fire wall with some grommets. I did buy some battery stud bulk heads but I just felt this way looked a lot cleaner. My plan is to run them up by where the battery tray goes and tie them into a terminal block and run from there.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Light Automotive tire
Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Musical instrument Automotive design Personal luxury car
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #476 ·
I than decided to start working on the body work. Definitely not my favorite but I figured I can work on them in pieces. I started with the fenders. Once I spent about 2 days sanding on them they were ready for some DTM epoxy. I decided I would just spray them in my back yard. Well that didn’t go to great. I had flys and bug tracks everywhere. I know it’s just epoxy but still I didnt like that. Which lead me to my home made paint booth from the great place of harbor freight.

I got the 17x10 carport cover from HF Laid some plastic down and sprayed the fenders. 100 times better but I knew I needed to make it a little better because i had no air flow in there. So I decided to order some stick on zippers and Velcro. I made a opening to the back so I could get through either way. That’s where the zippers went. Than I made a pvc frame for some filters. Probably didn’t need 6 but more is always better. I can fold it up when painting and that cover the out side back up when not in use. And that Velcro’s back now.

Next was the exhaust fans. I just picked up 4 20 dollars fans from home depot an some 1x3’s and a sheet of particleboard, I wanted to use plywood but we all know that stuff is now gold and I didn’t want to spend 60 bucks so particleboard it was for 15 bucks. I built a frame for it than the board of that were I made a templet and Cut them all out. I made it so the fans would fit snug in between the 1x3’s. Than just got some metal tabs scwered them to the fans and the filters just slide right in. i wrapped the out side in Velcro and that part the front main door with some Velcro so when it rolled down and meets the fans and seals the opening to the fans.
Plant Tree Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt

Wood Fender Beige Tints and shades Flooring

Property Tent Sky Wood Shade

Property Window Wood Interior design Shade
Sky Sleeve Shade Wood Tints and shades
Sky Road surface Wood Asphalt Shade
Outdoor bench Street furniture Road surface Outdoor furniture Rectangle
Tent Wood Shade Beige Rectangle

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Next up was the doors. First up was the passenger side. I sanded it down to meta for the most part. It wasnt perfect but I figured that. So next I went to the driver side and man I was sanding and wasn’t seeing metal. So I busted out the ole HF sand blaster and things started out good but once I got closer to the front of the door I noticed filler. As I kept going I noticed more and more. so I went to spot blasting and put some nice little craters and than I parted the body filler sea.

After I just stood there for a few minutes and wondered what the hell people do sometimes I decided I wasn’t going to try and body work that mess. So I ordered a door skin for the driver side. I haven’t yet tackled that yet but it’s coming soon.
Hood Table Bumper Outdoor furniture Road surface

Water Fluid Road surface Hood Asphalt
Tints and shades Chemical compound Auto part Vehicle door Windshield

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #480 ·
Love the paint booth, great idea. Those last couple of pictures showing partially blasted bondo on the door?
Ya someone decided to put almost 1/2in of filler on the driver side door. So I’m going to cut that skin off and replace that.

461 - 480 of 495 Posts