Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i have a stock and real 74 ss nova, it has a stock 350 with headers and dual flowmater exhaust. the motor has a 2bbl, and a points distributor. it has a 373 posi rear, with a th 350 with a shift kit. i got on it the other day full throttle, and it starts popping through the mufflers, sounds like popcorn popping. im not sure what to even look at for the problem, any help would be helpful. im in the process of having another motor built over the winter. but would like to keep this motor running good. i replaced the fuel filter, so thats done. thanks everybody.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Arthur33,

Welcome to Steves Nova Site!!

It sounds like that 350 needs a complete tune-up to include the following:
Spark plugs
Spark plug wires
Cap and rotor POINTS:confused:

And correct me if I'm wrong but, in 74, didn't they have an HEI distributor vice points? If you have a points type distributor, you need to swap that out with an HEI when ever you get the chance..

Please keep us posted on your findings..

Dan

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Headers tight?

They tend to loosen just a bit and blow a hole in the gasket. Another, much worse problem is a burned valve. A compression test will verify that. Keep us posted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts