Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have two issues, maybe related.

1. My ignition switch will not turn back to the lock position. It will turn forward and start the car, but will not turn back to the lock position. Also, I can pull the entire switch right out, even when the car is running. NOTE: When the switch is removed, the key has complete range of motion, lock position included. It's only when it's in the steering column does it misbehave.

2. Just yesterday, there is no power to the starter solenoid. I put a test light on it and it doesn't register anything. I drove the car just the other day and have been driving it regularly with no problems, even with issue number 1 above. When I turn the ignition switch to start the car, it seems as though everything else is fine; have full power to everything. When the key turns enough, if the radio is on, it shuts off as to be expected until the car starts. I can see the draw on the voltage meter gauge etc. Just zero power to the solenoid.

What to do?

·
Registered
198 Posts
74 Ignition issues

Sounds to me like the lockpin rack inside the steering column is not timed correctly---has the column ever been apart below the turn signal switch ? The Rack rod has the rack on the top end & the electrical ignition switch on the other. The gear that has to be timed to the rack is on the end of the key cylinder. Hope this helps you---if you have ever had a column apart this deep you will know what i'm talking about. As far as the key cylinder pulling out,there are 2 designs to keep it in place---a lockscrew---or a flat tab on the end of the key cylinder---either way it sounds like you need to start digging into the column.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info. I am not aware if the steering column has ever been fully disassembled. It does have an aftermarket steering wheel which I was easily able to remove.

You are correct I believe; the key cylinder is not able to house the metal tab unless I turn the cylinder to the right first. By way of info, if I use a pair of needle-nose pliers to turn the metal tab that's in the column, I cannot turn it to where it seems the lock position is. Also using pliers, if I turn it as far as I can to the right, it acts just like the key would, meaning, the lights on the dash come on, the gauges activate etc., but no power to the starter solenoid.

I've got the column disassembled down to the directional signal switch (including).

Have no clue on further disassembling techniques. I'm flying blind. Further assistance welcomed!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
if you have power to the lights and the dash and all i would look into the neutral saftey switch. Try starting the car in neutral see if that works...

But it will kill power to the starter only if not working properly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
74 Ignition issues

Tried starting in any gear a few days ago without success. Just today, I got to the what I think is called the "sector gear"; the gear that controls the rod down to the ignition switch. It looked like it was misaligned by one tooth. Not sure how that happened since it's pretty snug in there.

Anyway, while attempting to realign it, the hard plastic gear broke. Insert farmer's cuss word here.

Looks like I can pick up a new one cheap. Hope it's just a simple alignment problem.

·
Registered
198 Posts
74 Ignition issues

Tried starting in any gear a few days ago without success. Just today, I got to the what I think is called the "sector gear"; the gear that controls the rod down to the ignition switch. It looked like it was misaligned by one tooth. Not sure how that happened since it's pretty snug in there.

Anyway, while attempting to realign it, the hard plastic gear broke. Insert farmer's cuss word here.

Looks like I can pick up a new one cheap. Hope it's just a simple alignment problem.
Good man---the one tooth off sounds like you're on it---it's critical to the electrical switch reaching the start position.:yes:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There's a link in my signature to an index for my build thread. Look for the steering column rebuild that I did. You should find everything you need there about taking a column apart and putting it back together, including replacement of lock cylinder if that's necessary. All documented with photos.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
74 Ignition issues

Update:

As last mentioned, I broke the gear that turns the actuator rod. Found out that when I user a pair of pliers and pull the actuator rod towards me as far as I can, BANG! The car starts.

I will need to purchase a new gear/rod assembly ( I think they ship together... ).

For clarification though, what's going on where I can't see? Obviously, the switch isn't being activated, but why? Is it simply because the gear isn't turning the rod far enough? What does the rod connect with that pushes steam to the wire powering the starter solenoid?

Also, I was surprised that I had to pull the rod instead of push it. It seem counter intuitive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Greetings Everyone! !!
I have a 77 Nova and for a while it would run perfect and drive just fine. Then one day I went to go drive it but it wont start at all. It will crank but not fully start. I changed the battery and the starter. Sometimes it would start but only for a few seconds.

if any one know better solution please informed me asap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts