Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 74 nova that came with an aftermarket exhaust system but I dont know where to mount it. This exhaust came with the car when I bought it but it was not mounted in. I know the exhaust fits but not sure where the factory mounting points are. Can anyone help with this? Pictures would help the most.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Welcome!

These cars originally used a transverse (sideways) mounted muffler located in the area behind the rear axle and in front of the gas tank. If you look at the bottom of the floor pan directly above that area, you should see a couple of mounting brackets spot welded to the bottom of the floor. If I remember correctly, there were mounts with rubber isolator inserts that bolted onto those brackets. Then some metal hanger straps that hung down from the rubber isolators and attached to the muffler / pipe.

I believe the original tail pipe(s) had a hanger tab welded onto the pipe. And the upper end of the tab fit into a rubber insert inside an L-shaped bracket that was then screwed to the outboard side of the rear subframe rail.

Years ago, I put an aftermarket exhaust system on my 74 that uses a pair of inline mufflers instead of the OE type transverse muffler. The only factory exhaust mounting points I was able to use with that system were the tail pipe hangers. I bent some steel flat bar (similar to the setup on the factory tailpipe) to attach the new tail pipes to the OE hanger brackets. And I was going from single to dual exhaust so I grabbed a second tailpipe hanger bracket off a parts car (they're the same for both sides). I wasn't able to re-use the factory mounts at the original muffler location so I supported the forward part of the exhaust system with a pair of universal exhaust hangers. To attach those without drilling holes in the floor, I removed the two inboard bolts from the rear seat belts and replaced them with slightly longer grade 8 bolts. Then I used a couple of nuts to attach the upper ends of the universal hangers to the protruding ends of those bolts.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I mounted my aftermarket dual exhaust on my 74 Nova in the exact same fashion as Ray McAvoy explained in the above post. Below are a couple photos that might help out.

The photo below shows how the back of the mufflers/exhaust pipes were fastened to the "longer" rear seat belt bolts by using a universal exhaust hangers (arrows).

This photo provides a better view of the universal exhaust hanger (circled).

Note that the universal exhaust hanger has a "U" shaped metal tab at the end of the strap. This metal tab is attached to the exhaust by using pipe clamps.

The photo below shows the exit points of my aftermarket dual exhaust. You can't see the exhaust hangers... but you can see a portion of the pipe clamps that were attached to the hangers (arrows).

Hope these images help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the feedback! I ordered the universal hangers and should be mounting my exhaust soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts