Chevy Nova Forum banner

74 Nova column shift linkage

9K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Twinshadows 
#1 ·
I have a 74 Nova with a 350 engine and 350 transmission, I’m trying find the linkage assembly for the column shift. It was converted to a floor shifter and I want it back to a column shifter. Any pictures or help in the right direction would be very appreciated.

#2 ·
Generally, there will be a rod coming off the column down to a pivot bracket on the frame. From the pivot bracket there will be a rod going to the gear selector on the trans. Good used parts should not be difficult to find.

The assembly manual for the car will have drawings of the parts and how it went together. The factory shop manual will probably also have some references and data regarding adjustment. Sometimes you get lucky and there is a picture as well.

#6 ·
^ I agree. Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to find an assembly manual that covers '74 though (I have yet to see any listed for the '73+ Novas).
The '73 assembly manual is available now, it just has not spread out into the market yet. I believe Faxon is making them, they have them in their eBay store

The diagram you posted is about as good as you are going to get (y)

#9 ·
I installed this linkage on a 71 should work for a 74 also, it worked great.

. View attachment 397332 View attachment 397333 View attachment 397334 View attachment 397332 View attachment 397333 View attachment 397334
This looks exactly what I'm looking for. Thank You!

#11 ·
Faxon is awesome. If you are not familiar with them, they have been around forever and are always coming out with new product. I do not think these 4th & 5th gen manuals have been out for that long. They also buy and sell rare used literature. I try to keep an eye on their stuff as I am a literature junky.

#16 ·
I still have the linkage I posted about in this link. PM me if interested.

#18 ·
sorry to bring up an old thread but i have to do the same conversion, someone also made my at column shifterless up top. will this linkage work for any AT or just th350?
SeattleNova . . . . . this Is an Older Post . . . . . but , member 68bbnova , was last "posting , just 17
hours ago . So - - you may get some kind of answer .

However we may need too know just What You Mean by :
. . . . . " someone also made my AT column shifterless up top " . . . . .

Would you have any pictures of that ........................... so , we could see just what you are talking about ?

also , in the link above : in ' Post # 16 - - by 68bbnova ' . . . shows some parts you may need .

and the connection for :

Nova Column Shifter. 1962-1979 Nova Column Shifter Parts. (ss396.com)

at least check out those pictures ; and choose just which parts , could fit u'r car .

ps - - - - but you may have too address your "steering column issues" . . . . first .

I hope that makes some sinse .

. . .
jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.