Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72 and want to convert my automatic to a 4 speed. I have found a local 74 that is a 4 speed. Will all of the parts move right over and fit?
Pedals, trans, crossmember, driveshaft, linkage, etc, etc??

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
As far as I know it will all just swap out just fine....what Automatic were you running a Glide or TH 350 or 400 ?

I am using the cross member that was still under my 72 Rally that had a TH-350 in it to bolt a Borg Warner T-10 to.... and from the preliminary measurements I have done (with the Gear Box bolted to the Blow-proof bell housing and Engine I won't have to move anything....but the Borg Warner has 2 sets of mounting holes on the Aluminum Tail Shaft Housing too.

I took a measurement from the firewall side of the Motor Mount to the center of the Cross member bolt holes and from then from the inside of the firewall side Solid Motor Mount on my Engine to the center of the Bolt holes on the Tail-shaft housing and they were within like an 1/8 of an inch or something of being exactly the same but one never truly knows till your Hooking it all up.......knowing my luck I will have to move the danged cross member and if so oh well it won't be the first time a tape measure has lied to me.....because I never make mistakes......yeah right !:eek:

Randy.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Yes the transmission will fit just fine. Any GM Saginaw, Borg Warner, or Muncie will fit. You will have to match your clutch to the input shaft and the yoke to the output shaft. The 74 trans wil have either a 10 or 26 spline input and a 27 or 32 spline out put. Your automatic has a 27 spline output unless you have a Turbo 400 which is a 32 spline.

You may or may not need to get a different drive shaft depending on what you have and what you get. If the 74 is a Nova, all of the linkage and pedal parts will interchange

1 - 3 of 3 Posts