Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at leaf springs to replace the worn out rears on my 74. What is the diffrence between a single leaf and a 4 or 5 leaf. Is one better than the other. The car will be a street driven cruiser, not a strip car. I noticed Summit has a good deal on their 4 leaf spings. Has anyone used the Summit springs? I have replaced the front suspension and now I need to do the rear. I don't want any drop in ride hight. Thanks for the information in advance.

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,990 Posts
Sorry I don't haver any answers for you but the rear is my next project as well. I am anxious to see what the SNS folks recomend. What does you car currently have? Mine has the single leaf. I am thinking about going with the cal tract single leaf system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the factory multi leaf. I replaced the front coils and now the front sits higher than the back. I used MOOG replacement springs on the front.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Just the factory multi leaf. I replaced the front coils and now the front sits higher than the back. I used MOOG replacement springs on the front.
Check out Eaton Spring. Lots of good information there and they can sell you the replacement spring

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Any spring will take time to "set". The front springs may just need to be allowed to set into it's riding height. It may take 2 weeks to 2 months. If you bought the correct spring (meaning spring height) you will see the front end lower each time you take it out. Drive it around for a couple of weeks. Then make your decision on the rear leaf springs.

As for single leaf and multi leaf, if I'm not mistaken the axle will determine what springs to use. However, if you have multi leaf springs and you want to go to single, there is a spacer you can buy to fill the void in the perch. You should be able to find someone local to buy stock springs from. If not, I can give you the name and web page for the guy I bought mine from.

Good Luck!
Jim Smith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts