Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

I'm new to the board. I just pulled my 74 out of Storage to take to a local cruise night this weekend and I've been having an issue that is going to keep me out of the Cruise... I can't seem figure out why I can't get the headlights working... I'm about ready to pull my hair out here. I have checked the fuseblock, I've checked the switch, I've got brand new lamps... still nothing. Using the Multimeter I get nothing at the Headlamp sockets... Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Do you have a test light? If so check the fuse block, and the headlight plugs. If you have power at fuse block but no power to the headlights it's in the wiring harness. If thats the case my guess would be a problem at the firewall connection point. Also check to insure you have a good ground at the headlights.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Forgot to mention, Check the dimmer switch on the floor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which grounds are you talking about? I see the ones at the that come directly off the headlight sockets and are bolted directly to the body... I cleaned them up with a wire brush and bolted them back to the body and still don't have headlights... I haven't checked the Hi/Lo beam switch... it seems like the only thing I didn't look at.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Headlight switch

Go on the forums and download the wiring schematics. I had a similiar problem and the schematics help alot. It's a big difference looking at a bunch of dirty tangled up wires and a paper. If your fuses are good remove the headlight switch just turn the holder counter clock wise. There should be two wires with power leading in. One orange the other red. Check those first. If those are good ck the schematics to see which color lead out to the headlights, ( I think green can't remeber for sure) and ck those. If you have power going out you know it's between the switch and the lights probably a wire. If no power going out, and the orange and red wire have voltage coming in it's your switch. If no power on those two wires keep following it back. Remember your headlight can always come on even with the ignition key off, so should be hot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Headlight switch

I had pulled the switch... I used the Multimeter and got 12V off the Red and the Orange Wires on the Socket... I then checked to see if I got continuity across the posts that the red and green wires attach to... When the switch is pulled I had continuity and when it was pushed back in I had none. I assume this means the switch is working... I'm going to have to trace the wires back in the Harness from the headlamp sockets... I see where they come to the front of the fender to the first headlamp... any idea which way it heads back to the fuse block?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still Nothing

Ok... after another evenings worth of work with the assistance of an Electrical Engineer... I still have nothing. I pulled the engine compartment side of the fuse block... I replaced a spade connector on the Brown wire and got continuity across that one and the green wire to the headlamp sockets... Still never got 12 volts to the headlamp sockets. I checked the wire connector at the Hi/Lo dimmer switch but I didn't really know what I was looking for on that one... Didn't see 12 volt power there either... I think for the weekend I'm going to wire up a stand alone headlight circuit and for the future I'm probably going to order a new engine compartment harness... Any suggestions on how to wire up the stand alone circuit or where to purchase a Engine Compartment forward harness?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fuse Block

From the Left headlight it should be a lt grn wire and a tan wire. That leads to the headlight dimmer switch. From the headlight dimmer switch, should be a (yellow wire or a blue wire) to the regular light switch. And from there should be the orange wire and red wire which are hot at all times.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ready to Roll

So I ended up wiring up my own circuit for the headlights for now. I've pretty much decided that the problem is being caused by something in the Fuse Block itself. When I manage to scrounge up a few hundred bucks I'll buy a Fuse Block Forward Harness for it.

For now It's all washed and waxed and ready for the Cruise... I'll post some pics of it on Sunday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts