Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everywhere i look for a new shroud the years are only 68-72. I do not know if this will fit my 74. Rays Restoration site says they will not interchange but i do not know why they wont. Has anybody encountered this problem as well? Any help or information would be very much appreciated. Or if you have one you would like to sell please let me know.... my radiator is stock for 74 and is a 23 in core, its for an air conditioned v8 car. Thanks.......

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi sweetemotion74,

A 69-72 small block fan shroud can be used on a 73/74 but there might be a few issues:

(1) I believe the fan opening was enlarged on the 73-up shrouds to accomodate larger diameter fan blades. Not all engines used the larger diameter fans though so you may or may not run into a problem with your fan fitting the opening of a 69-72 shroud. If I remember correctly, the 69-72 shrouds fit an 18" diameter fan while the 73-up shrouds will accept a 20" or 21" fan.

(2) The 69-72 small block fan shrouds are designed to fit radiators with a 20" wide core. Many 73/74's use the same size radiator so it'd be a direct fit on those cars. But 73/74's with AC and/or the HD cooling option use a wider 23" core radiator. A 69-72 shroud wouldn't fully cover one of these radiators. Probably not a big deal leaving only a 3" strip outside the shroud. The upper left screw that attaches the shroud to the radiator top plate might not line up with the hole in the wider top plate that's used with the 23" radiator though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts