Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 74 came eith no engine or trand. So im starting from 0. I have a th400 and 468 bbc i. No. Just moving slow to finish all the wiring ehich is like 6 wires. Im guessing there is a wire that goes to the trans for the kick down. What color is that? If you have a diagram that would be nice thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok i found a diagram hopes this is right. Guess im looking for a blue wire? Cant tell where its coming from yet 1971-c-10-tail-light-wiring-car-wiring-diagram-download-within-1974-chevy-c10-fuse-box_155552000.jpg

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
A TH400 transmission was not available from the factory in 74 Novas. The only automatic trans available that year was the TH350 that used a mechanical kickdown cable. So you'll have to add your own wiring & kickdown switch for the TH400.

That switch marked "TCS Trans Switch" on the wiring diagram with the blue wire is for the TCS (Transmission Controlled Spark) system. That was an early emissions system used on some of these cars that blocked vacuum from the distributor vacuum advance unless the trans was in high gear.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh crap. I was looking. And i couldnt find any info. I did see something about a swith being adding to the side for the carb but it look s like the same spot for my electric choke.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Some GM vehicles with a TH400 trans had the kickdown switch mounted near the carburetor so it would be activated by the throttle lever. That would put the switch on the driver side of the carb and the electric choke is on the passenger side so that shouldn't pose any interference issues.

Other GM vehicles with a TH400 trans had the kickdown switch located on a bracket up above the gas pedal. That setup was pretty common in the 70's & 80's full-size C/K trucks and is shown in some pics here --> https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/th400-kickdown-switch-information.7242/ In fact, a switch & bracket from one of those trucks might possibly fit onto the Nova gas pedal provided there is enough room up under the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts