Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost am too embarrassed to ask, but how do you get the dash apart in a 74. I have all the screws out of the bezel and it is loose. I can't seem to get it past the steering column, and all the wires/speedo cable hang up. I've got to be missing the obvious. Is there someway to detach the cluster from the bezel to take them out separate.

Also, I have a kick panel vent leaking water on the passenger side. Anybody know what the common cause of this problem might be?

Thanks

·
3,863 Posts
You have to drop the steering column, unhook the speedo and disconnect the wires. If I recall I think there is just one electrical connector and a ground wire, maybe lights and windshield wiper connectors too.

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
no, you have to pull out the gauges out with the bezel. It's a pain but you need to lay on your back and reach up and disconnect the speedometer cable form the back of the speedo gauge and also, there's a cable that connects to the steering column that moves the indicator for what gear your in, you have to make sure to unscrew that and detach it before you remove. After all that, there are two nuts that hold the steering column up, remove the two nuts so it drops down, it wont go completely down but it'll drop about 4-5inches giving you enough room to persuade the speedometer to come out.

As far as you leak is concerned, good chance it has to do with the door weatherstripping. i'd go up and down and look at it closely for anytype of tearing or worn our portions. you can find door weatherstripping at ChevyIIonly.com or J&w nova or a ton of other places. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as far as the dash...wow I was afraid of that. I bet people cursed Chevy when ever they had to change a dash bulb.

NovaMan the weather srtip does need replaced, but I'm relatively certain the water is coming from the duct. Where does the duct lead? to the intake vent outside the windshield? or just the fender area?

PS. its a '73 not a '74 Nova (brain fart), but it shouldn't matter.

·
3,863 Posts
You don't need to pull the dash to replace a dash bulb.:no: They can be removed from underneath by reaching up and grabbing the affected light bulb socket and giving it a quarter turn and just pull it out. Very simple.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've had the same problem with both of my kickpanels letting water into the interior of my Nova. Water is coming in through your cowl vent outside the car, flowing down the side between your inner and outer firewall. It's SUPPOSED to continue down to the bottom of your fenders and flow out on the ground. After years of leaves and other debris making their way through my cowl vent and down the insides of my firewall, it was plugging the water's escape giving it nowhere else to go but into my interior and on the floor board.

Pull your interior kickpanels off and try cleaning any and all debris possible. I also took my cowl vent off and tacked on a section of screen (like what's used on the front door of my house) to the inside of the cowl vent. This will still allow the same amount of air flow for your vents and AC/heater blower but stop the larger debris from entering your firewall. Personally, I don't have AC and don't use my floor vents so I cut out a patch panel and used gasket maker to seal off the vent holes on the kickpanels from inside the car as well.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup, that appears to have been the problem. I cleaned a lot of crud out yesterday. Today we had a light sprinkling and so far so dry:) Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts