Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front inner fenders have rubber skirts over the upper A frame. Mine are gone. I bought a replacement set, with staples. the replacement set has two pieces for each side. never having seen the original does anyone have a picture so I know how these go on? Also has anyone used these staples to attach any thing. looks like it takes a special tool to use them. these are the same staples used to attach the weather seal to the inner door panel at the window.
Thanks

D

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,055 Posts
Good question.....I'm subscribing...I have the same question..I think I may use rivets!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
about the staples, i bought new cowl to inner fender seals an they came with staples. i didnt use them i went to the local body shop an asked them for advice to install. he sold me these pins that he called x-mas trees. they are made of material like nylon/plastic. i drilled a 3/16'' maybe was 1/4'' hole thru both the seal an cowl flange an pushed them into the holes. they worked perfect an hold tight.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used black, stainless, button-head machine screws.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
staples

I'm going to use soft mechanics wire same size as staple just bend it over once thru. BUT here's the deal. Where does the half moon piece go? does anyone have ant pics of a stock installation?

·
Registered
33 Posts
The staples are tough as nails from the factory and probably impossible to replicate easily with hand tools. I'm sure using a bendable wire of similar thickness will look original and be much simpler to use versus any type of staple. An alternative would be like the other guys mention of self tapping screws, Christmas tree pins/clips, or I would suggest a plastic rivet. An aluminum rivet with a large head would work fine too, but a plastic rivet with expandable grips on backside would grab n hold even better with no metal corrosion to speak of. You'll need a special rivet tool for plastic rivets, but they're easy to find and not very expensive at all. Anything you come up with I'm sure will work, the simple fact of installing those fender well seals will keep your engine bay a little cleaner driving thru wet environments, or spraying off the suspension during a wash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts