Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Registered
Thanks amatojm. Yeah I need to put a gauge on it. That temperature sender seems suspicious. I know it got hot the first time though. It actually was in the drive thru. It was dieseling and running really bad before I shut it off.
Ahh, maybe it did get pretty warm then.

Looking at twins photos, if there's not evidence of water/coolant forward of the bellhousing flange, I think we are down to out last option.
Hopefully you have an extra set of hand to help drop the trans.

Keep us posted!

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
Ahh, maybe it did get pretty warm then.

Looking at twins photos, if there's not evidence of water/coolant forward of the bellhousing flange, I think we are down to out last option.
Hopefully you have an extra set of hand to help drop the trans.

Keep us posted!
Thanks @amatojm yeah these are my thoughts also. I think I'll give it one more look over, and like you mentioned look forward of the bellhousing. Probably plan on dropping the trans out.. Dang.. Maybe I can find a cheap small block, I have a th350 ready... Make it more fun 馃 I'll keep you posted though!

Registered
SoCal . . . . I also have my '53 IH p/u with a 68 Chev 250 w/pg trans. A long time ago , that motor had a
water leak 鈥︹ it was leaking on the "side freeze plugs" . I pulled my intake / exhaust manifold & replaced
all my "driver side f/plugs" (both in the block & head) . Looked at that time - they had 'rusted through' 鈥︹︹...
but, I never have replaced the 'rear - block freeze plug' -------- that was back in like - 1988'ish - and, drove that truck (was my DD for years), forever...鈥︹︹ never again leaked.
HOW IS your 'cooling system' 鈥︹ just looking inside u'r radiator - or - how's u'r 'anti-freeze' - in u'r system ?
Then, it's your car = = = whether you want too keep th' six = = = or, go V-8 . ? , is which way you want too
spend u'r $ $ $ . Still , I would check things out , maybe, keep the car running , while you "shop around" .
Hey . . . . . . i'm just talking . . . . . . jim

Reactions: SoCal_73

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
SoCal . . . . I also have my '53 IH p/u with a 68 Chev 250 w/pg trans. A long time ago , that motor had a
water leak 鈥︹ it was leaking on the "side freeze plugs" . I pulled my intake / exhaust manifold & replaced
all my "driver side f/plugs" (both in the block & head) . Looked at that time - they had 'rusted through' 鈥︹︹...
but, I never have replaced the 'rear - block freeze plug' -------- that was back in like - 1988'ish - and, drove that truck (was my DD for years), forever...鈥︹︹ never again leaked.
HOW IS your 'cooling system' 鈥︹ just looking inside u'r radiator - or - how's u'r 'anti-freeze' - in u'r system ?
Then, it's your car = = = whether you want too keep th' six = = = or, go V-8 . ? , is which way you want too
spend u'r $ $ $ . Still , I would check things out , maybe, keep the car running , while you "shop around" .
Hey . . . . . . i'm just talking . . . . . . jim
Hi Jim. I think coolant looks ok. I actually have not been using antifreeze. I just use water. The "coolant" looks like a yellow brown color.

Registered
If it鈥檚 a yellowish brown it is probably mostly water and rust err somthin significantly less then a 50/50 coolant solution..

Registered
Thanks @amatojm yeah these are my thoughts also. I think I'll give it one more look over, and like you mentioned look forward of the bellhousing. Probably plan on dropping the trans out.. Dang.. Maybe I can find a cheap small block, I have a th350 ready... Make it more fun 馃 I'll keep you posted though!
I have and have had several 250 sixes and usually the water leaks come from a bad head gasket or unfortunately the freeze plug at the back of the motor which is the worst one to have as you have to drop the trans to get at it. I had one completely leak out while I was in line at the bank. Nice mess but not bad to fix. However, if you keep running just water and not antifreeze you will have rust problems that can haunt you forever.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts