Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking ahead and rounding up parts for the eng & trans install. I find I am short the spring and bushing that slips on the trans linkage then inserts into the frame. Anyone have any ideas of where to find them. If I new the length of the spring and what the bushing looks like and what it's made of maybe I could find a something that would work. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Is this a numbers-matching restoration? Only reason why I'm asking is that I went with a new TV cable and got the bracketry from Holley that mounts on the manifold and carb. As far as the throttle return spring, I just changed the location of it. It's not numbers-matching correct, but it looks good and is very functional.

Jason

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jason you lost me somewhere. I need the parts for the transmission shift linkage that inserts into the left side of the frame near the transmission.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I must admit I'm now lost too...the only thing on mine that goes into the left side of the frame is the parking brake cable...Can someone else shed some light here?

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Bowtie,
Those Pieces are Hard to Find.What I have made work before is the Spring and Bushing for a Mid 80's El Camino/Monte Carlo Coulm Shift.
Joe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Joe I do need the spring length. Jason if you have a colume shift one end attaches to the shift lever on the trans and the other is held in place by spring tension on the frame.

·
6,502 Posts
I know what you are talking about and I will have to see if I have any pictures on mine on the home computer tonight.
Briefly the linkage portion that goes into the driver's inside frame consists of a stamped steel bucket that bolts to the frame and then what looks like half of a ball shaped bushing goes into it and then there is a shaft with a flared out portion that limits how for a tension spring can slide over the end of the shaft. This spring keeps tension on the assembly so when the motor and frame move away from each other or get closer the linkage stays together and allows it to float so to speak. I also think there is a washer on top of the ball shaped bushing to keep the spring from digging in and wearing it out too quickly.
I'll see what I have tonight at home and post the info.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Jim is correct,there is a Washer in there.I will have to Look tonight(if Jim doesnt have the Measurement)for the Spring.I just Matched the 85 Nylon Bushing to a 70 Nova Bushing and they are the Same.If a Picture doesnot Show,PM Me your Email and I will send the picture.
I am sure you will want to use what you have,but the Other way the Linkages were done is.The Bell Crank mounted to the Sub Frame with 2 Rods to attach.

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
OK,the Picture worked.It only uses one of the Bushings.I posted both so you could see the Later one is the Same.I will find the Spring,but if you allready have it Jim,Post away.
Joe

·
Registered
328 Posts
If I got it right, your want the frame pivit for the shift linkage "z" barr,the spring not sure about. the steel briaket that bolts to the frame I have made be for. My car has a half ball plastic bushing on that barr with a spring pushing it into the braket.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your help. I have the cup that is bolted to the frame it looks real good. I do need a part # for the bushing maybe Chevy still stocks it and if I'm real lucky the spring also. The 85 nylon bushing is from what vehicle?

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
That one is from a 83 El Camino.I am sure you will find that 78- 88 El Camino/Monte Carlo use the Same Parts.I will see if there is a #,but doubt there will be.GM might still have it.The Spring from the Later car worked also.
Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts