Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have finally got back to work on the nova. I have the front of the car on the rotisserie and hoping to have the rear of the car hooked up this weekend. Anyways today I stripped the subframe to get ready to sandblast, weld up the frame some, primer and paint it. I noticed the drivers side perch, I believe it is a bracket that connects the subframe to the body I have no idea what it is called, had ugly welds on it. The weld facing the front of the car is the one in question the other welds look fine and appear to be factory. For those of you who know about sub frames or took yours apart, what do you think? Think it would be ok to weld up and put back under the car? I don’t want to put time, effort, and money into it if it’s no good. Any info or guidance you can pass my way would be awesome. IMG_1409.jpg IMG_1410.jpg IMG_1407.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Looks like poor penetration weld to me, but I don't see any reason it cannot be cleaned up and rewelded correctly.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Pretty common looking welds on these old chassis’s. Doesn’t look like its failed but doesn’t look pretty either. Like bracketchev70 said clean it up and reweld it.

·
5,143 Posts
better factory welds than some I have seen. It lasted this many years and held fine.
I would still put a good weld on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty common looking welds on these old chassis’s. Doesn’t look like its failed but doesn’t look pretty either. Like bracketchev70 said clean it up and reweld it.

That’s kind of what I was hoping for thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
better factory welds than some I have seen. It lasted this many years and held fine.

I would still put a good weld on it.

That’s what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure and get the input from people on here. Thank you

·
Registered
866 Posts
If it hasnt failed in 50 years the likelyhood of it failing now are nil.
If it were mine unless it shows signs of cracking or such I might hit it with a soft disc a bit to knock the sharp edges off and leave it be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts