Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have caught drag race fever, I took my El Camino to the track and had a blast even though it wasn't that fast, it was so much fun. The El Camino is too nice and too heavy to make a drag car. I have a 73 SS Hatchback 4 speed that I bought a while back a stuffed it away in the garage until I figured out what to do to it.
My question is this: Since it is a hatchback and a unibody car do you need to do anything special other than frame connector to keep it from twisting and have it launch straight?

I would like to run about a 8.00 second 1/8 and am going to run a 400sbc or 6.0 LS engine if I can get one for a reasonable price. Either way the engine is not my question. I don't want to put a cage in and would rather not butcher the interior because these interiors are hard to find and this one is nice and complete.

Just don't want to waste time and effort if the car can't take it without twisting and messing up the door gaps.

·
Registered
442 Posts
My 73 Ventura Hatchback has a mild 461 Big Block, TH350 trans with a shift kit and 2500 stall, stock 10 bolt pozi rear and nothing else to 'strengthen' the chassis or body. Its just a street car and last weekend ran a 7.95 1/8 mile and 12.51 quarter. It's got more in it, I got a problem with it I've got to look at where it's not revving past 5500 so I've been shifting at 5k.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering, it is encouraging to here this. So I'm assuming that your able to launch fairly hard with those times and get some good 60' time too, are you noticing that the body is staying straight and not twisting hard enough to damage it. Do you have frame connectors to add strength to your car?

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I know several people including Big Al who are running stock bodied Novas with bolt on parts running 7.0s so you should be fine at 8.0s

·
Registered
448 Posts
My 73 runs 7.70s in the 1/8, 12.20s in the 1/4 WITHOUT any frame connectors. Both doors shut just fine even after several passes. This winter I'm building a 383 to run 11s and plan on installing some bolt-in connectors for peace of mind.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts