Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have pics of how their rearview mirror is installed? I know on some older models there is a bracket that the mirror attaches to. On my car, there is currently no rearview mirror or bracket. I'm thinking it was just attached to the windshield with glue? IF so anyone have luck with any kits out there like the permatex stuff?

IF there is a bracket i'm missing and it's not just glued to the windshield pictures or part numbers would help. thanks.

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
The Permatex or other glue kits work good, just have to follow the instructions. If I remember right there is a primer/cleaner that you use on the glass before the glue for a solid bond. Also let the glue dry, (possibly overnight), before you try to install the mirror or there is a chance you will pull the mounting tab off.
When the glue cures properly it is incredibly strong. That's how the factory installed them.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like i'll try the Permatex adhesive this time. Last time i tried to glue it on I think i used cheapo autozone adhesive, only lasted a week with that stuff.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Take it to a glass shop. MOST will do it for free or a small fee. We use a kit made by LOCKTITE. Takes about a minute to set up and we can hang the mirror right away! The mirror button should attach right about where the sunshade band ends usually about 3~6 inches from the top, depending on how large the shade band is.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update

VersaChem - Rear View Mirror Adhesive
Part # 11109

Ended up using this stuff and so far it's lasted longer than anything else i've tried. easy to put on and (knock on wood) it seems to stay on.

·
Registered
921 Posts
For a '73 find the wires in the winshield for the antenna. The button is glued about 1/2" - 3/4" down from where the wires go vertical and centered in the gap between the 2 vertical wires. Make sure its square to the wires, 'cause you only get 1 chance!

I put mine a bit higher, towards the top of the windshield so it wouldn't interfear with our line of sight. I always thought they were too low. I move the mirror arm all the way up, then adjust the mirror back down for the sight picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts