Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 73 Nova is getting a lot of water in both drivers and passenger side floor. The car had no kickpanels for me to reference, and I have fitted it with the aftermarket panels made by retrosound.

Other post said the original kick panels were puttyed in areas to keep the water out. Can someone explain where the seal was supposed to be, I think without me having the original panels I'm not sure what I'm sealing up.

It sounds like my kick panels need to glue to something to keep the water out, or maybe I need to line it with some sealant and plastic like a car door.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
so there was tones of crap in the area below the vent opening, vacumed all that out, and it looks like it should be better now, i have alot of rust in there, and i think from it being packed with crud it has resulted in larger holes at the lower of this area from rust.

I do think that the sealant is cracked in some areas, but with the holes cleared out hopefully the water should not get back up high enough to leak through the seal.

What is a good sealant that i can use there that i would be able to easily remove next year when i rebuild the car?

·
6,516 Posts
Here is a thread that might help some although the OP's pictures are no longer visible:

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578178

Also in the above thread I show the below kick panel and on it, the white material is the caulk that needs to be in place to seal off the cowl side vent hole edges.

Depending on the kick panel, you might have to get creative to design and build some type of water deflector like how the factory did with the flapper vent door being in an oval plastic housing that stuck halfway into the cowl sides.

As far as the caulk, I have heard of people using plumbers caulk but you might want to buy something like from 3M called Strip Calk

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/?N=5002385+3293194020+3294857497&rt=rud

I've use a bunch of this stuff on firewall holes when running power wires and also around edges of speakers to get good air tight and water tight seals.

Also with the kick panels out and the junk cleaned out that has collected in there through the years is get the front of the car up some like on an incline and then run water into the oval hole of the kick panel and you should get some water exiting out on the rocker sill back by the front of the rear tires. There should be a small rectangular hole in there that you might have to get in there and pull out junk.

Jim

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a thread that might help some although the OP's pictures are no longer visible:

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578178

Also in the above thread I show the below kick panel and on it, the white material is the caulk that needs to be in place to seal off the cowl side vent hole edges.

Depending on the kick panel, you might have to get creative to design and build some type of water deflector like how the factory did with the flapper vent door being in an oval plastic housing that stuck halfway into the cowl sides.

As far as the caulk, I have heard of people using plumbers caulk but you might want to buy something like from 3M called Strip Calk

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/?N=5002385+3293194020+3294857497&rt=rud

I've use a bunch of this stuff on firewall holes when running power wires and also around edges of speakers to get good air tight and water tight seals.

Also with the kick panels out and the junk cleaned out that has collected in there through the years is get the front of the car up some like on an incline and then run water into the oval hole of the kick panel and you should get some water exiting out on the rocker sill back by the front of the rear tires. There should be a small rectangular hole in there that you might have to get in there and pull out junk.

Jim
this definitely helps,

I think i'll have to fabricate some type of tunnel and seal it to vent opening on the car. it does not look like it would work to seal it into the new kick panels. I may just try using some dynamat and and make a funnel out of it, or just block the vent hole off all together with some dynamat.

·
6,516 Posts
this definitely helps,

I think i'll have to fabricate some type of tunnel and seal it to vent opening on the car. it does not look like it would work to seal it into the new kick panels. I may just try using some dynamat and and make a funnel out of it, or just block the vent hole off all together with some dynamat.
I have seen these too that block off the vent and also provide a way to mount speakers into them:

https://the-shop-llc.myshopify.com/products/speaker-enclosure

Maybe think of too in getting a pair of original kick panels and then if you do want speakers in them, they can be cut to allow a 4x6 to be put in there or even up to a larger 6.5" round. I did some 6.5" speakers years ago in my 73 with the stock kick panels and only required some metal in the kick panel to be slightly bent out of the way. On a 77 I also had, it had 4" round speakers in the original kick panels.

Jim

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
511 Posts
Electricians putty also works well and is about $4.00 for a 1 lb block at home depot. It is similar to strip caulk in block form. Pinch off a little and roll it in your hands like you did with play-doh as a kid.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
sound like that is just about what we used on the oldsmobiles,our thumb grade sealer for that area and small intersections in the panels,we kept in under a heat lamp so it would stay pliable pinch off a chunk,put it where needed and used dish soap and water on the thumb to smooth it. vent panel had big chunks installed after paint. reason being it would harden in the ovens when baked. could also use latex caulking and a caulk gun to build it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Plumbers putty works to replicate that factory sealer too. Your idea of sealing the opening with a sound pad would work too, especially if you don't need the fresh air vent anymore. A lot of those aftermarket kick panels with pre formed speaker housings are basically flat around that area, and do not consider the cowl vent openings at all. Sorry you'll have to redo the install... I know setting back the parking brake pedal is a serious pain. Good luck, I'm sure you'll make something work to keep the water out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts