Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
73 NOS GM Tail panel

A buddy of mine has a NOS GM taillight panel for your 73. I will check and make sure he still has it. Been laying around for years.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A buddy of mine has a NOS GM taillight panel for your 73. I will check and make sure he still has it. Been laying around for years.

Mine is definitely toast and needs replacing!

Like davidr5610 said I would also use some tiger hair then por 15 everything since the floors are not that bad.You don't want to weld little patches everywhere. Either that or weld in whole floor pans. But they don't need it.

Definitely will look into that as I feel the same, just want the rust gone and to not have to worry about it again once I get it fixed and the floors coated, etc.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bumping this back up. Need to fix the broken photos, will do that soon. Haven’t had funds to do much to the car so still not much of a “build” yet. Had a solid lead or two on a well priced 6.0 for it but both fell through, haven’t had any luck the times I’ve went to the junkyard either. Here’s to hoping 2018 brings progress lol

Most recent pics of the car I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I really like the color of this car, keep us updated.

Thanks! Hopefully I can do a little advancing in my career and have a little more time and money to really get some thing done.

Nice job on getting the paint to look pretty decent. Love seeing other 73/74's coming back from the grave. Keep up the good work :yes:

Appreciate it! Car is sentimental so it’s made me grow a little more fond of the 73/74’s. Must admit they weren’t always my favorite but I refuse to change it up from the 73/74 look. The green my dad chose so not sure if one day I’ll change it or repaint it this color. Time will tell.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did my best to update a few pictures that were broken links, wasn’t able to get all of them but enough to show things. If we’re being honest I haven’t done much at all to this thing (insert sad face here)

Thing has just been sitting mostly due to time and money. Friend is doing an LS swap in his 84 Chevy though and really wants to see this thing move, offered me his old motor and trans that he just pulled, which is a motor out of a 92’ Silverado that’s been carbed and a turbo 400 trans for $500.

End goals are an LS swap but have been contemplating taking him up on his offer just to get a running car and then replace other maintenance type stuff to drive the car some while I save to really go “all in” as far as suspension/LS swap/body work and all that good stuff.

Anyways, done rambling. Here a picture since threads are worthless without pics. Lol.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Buddy found something he wanted some cash for, talked him into taking $300 for the carb’d 92’ Chevy motor and turbo 400, don’t know anything else other than it ran just fine before he pulled it. Decided to take the gamble and snag it just to see if I can get this nova moving.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Soooo....picked up the motor...

According to the internet it’s a 95-00 block...Not quite what I was told/thought it was but I’m not mad lol...

Has a different intake as well as a stall in it...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Anybody have any feedback? Opinions on the motor/parts? Things I’m going to need?

Assuming I’ll need an electric fuel pump judging by what I’ve been told.

Engine bay current looks like this, just a little cleaner but no current pic...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Did some more reading/digging and came to the conclusion on a few things. I def know I’ll need to 400 yoke, guy I bought my motor from might give me his, etc since he won’t be using it. From what I’m reading I think I’ll need the driveshaft shortened as well but trying to find someone with more info.

Not sure I have all of the motor mount pieces so they are on the order list for a new set.

Crossmember for 350 and 400’s are different, also different for a big block or small block so I’ll need to order me a crossmember specific for a small block and turbo 400.

Got several “homemade” crossmember in the trunk from previous owner. Lol.

So far I believe I’ll need..

•Starter
•Radiator
•Motor mounts
•Th400 crossmember
•Right size driveshaft and yoke
•Bellhousing cover
•Shift linkage
•Battery cables
•Battery
•Battery box
•Brake vacuum lines

Possible things:
•New fuel lines
•Maybe new gas tank
•Fuel pump

Previous owner took it from column shift to a floor shift, guessing that’ll affect how hooking this thing up goes?

Anybody want to add to this list/give parts suggestions to buy?

Pic just because...

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
looks as though your sorting out every thing for the new motor. the nova body looks pretty good, so some driving time should be soon. one thing though, that stack of lumber on the garage wall would worry me if that was my car parked there.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
looks as though your sorting out every thing for the new motor. the nova body looks pretty good, so some driving time should be soon. one thing though, that stack of lumber on the garage wall would worry me if that was my car parked there.

It’s solid for the most part, it does need some things but it’s for sure in driving shape, worst part is the rear taillight panel and driver front fender. Decided to focus on getting this motor and trans in and it driving then the rest that way we could enjoy it some since it’s been nearly 20 years since my dad drove it.

I hear you on the lumber. Lol. It’s more away from the car than it looks but completely agree.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great story. Reminds me of my first nova.(73 hatchback). Would love to have it back. Good Luck with your old friend.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Great story. Reminds me of my first nova.(73 hatchback). Would love to have it back. Good Luck with your old friend.

Thanks so much! Would have been much less of a headache if we’d never have sold it but I guess not as good of a story, eh? Lol........Appreciate the luck, just looking forward to letting my old man finally get to cruise “his car” again after 20ish years!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Good news, talked to my friend I got the motor from and he has the starter to give me as well as a Holley Red electric fuel pump and another back up pump he bought when he thought the red was out but turned out to be a loose wire. Owe him a beer as it saves me a few more bucks for sure!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So I need to get this motor up off these tires and moved around the shop. Was going to order this

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPUU1I/?coliid=I26O62BWZJQ73D&colid=UH8VCTJC3Q7I&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

And this….

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZWHNVN/?coliid=I9S5ZPFI5Z6OO&colid=UH8VCTJC3Q7I&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

To both get it up off the ground and for when I got to put it in the car. Anyone have a preference with anything else?

Also picked me up another Haynes manual to browse over/have on hand!

Also, with Black Friday coming up Ive set aside some money to go ahead and buy a few things to get this motor in the car (hopefully some places will have decent percent off sales). Figured car stuff was more productive than what most people would be out looking for. Lol.

Have a few questions in regards to those items.

1.) Going to try and get the TH 400 crossmember from tamrazs (as recommended) since I need one with mount in the middle for a SBC not to one side for BBC https://www.tamrazsparts.com/68-72-nova-67-69-camaro-firebird-th-400-crossmember-small-block-sb-chq/ $145

2.) I need a transmission mount. Will just any turbo 400 mount work? Saw these on several sites, figured I could just snag some of them? https://www.jegs.com/i/Prothane/311/7-1604/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710545194&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=44693592161&CATCI=pla-191847314711&catargetid=230006180039218622&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwcHTmcrX3gIVjjZpCh0TywsgEAQYBSABEgItgvD_BwE $31

3.) Motor mounts! I know you have short and tall/clamshell, etc etc. Read several threads where I believe Firebird69racer went into detail on when they changed and part numbers, etc. but I’m still a little behind the times. Get OEM or poly? Or? Looking back at my pictures I believe I still have the motor side of the mounts but how do I figure out what I need to order?

4.) This electric kickdown jazz, people argue back and forth about hooking it up but Ive decided its there for a reason and needs to be hooked up. However, how is another story. I’ve read on both this

B&M https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-20297?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-b-m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2cGW887X3gIVCqdpCh2D1w6REAQYBCABEgLpwfD_BwE

and this Lokar https://www.jegs.com/i/Lokar/625/KD-2400HT/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710789606&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=58495025003&CATCI=pla-547918190547&CATARGETID=230006180041388873&CADevice=c&jegspromo=thirdparty&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2cGW887X3gIVCqdpCh2D1w6REAQYASABEgLSqfD_BwE

Anyone have experience with either? Care to comment?

5.) Feel free to link any other links to some recommended items. Going to have to snag more hoses, gaskets, fuel lines and all that jazz but mainly wanted the stuff to pick this motor up and stab it in to get to doing the other stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've never had great luck with the levelers. I normally just use the engine lift plate and that balances the motor pretty good.

A regular TH400 mount will work just fine with the crossmember you have listed.

AJ

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Ended up snagging just a load leveler from Harbor Freight. Got the motor moved out the way, going to clean it up another weekend.

Also bought the Turbo 400 crossmember for a SBC, a transmission mount, and some motor mount bolts.

Still need to figure out a few other things as well as get frame side motor mounts. Mounts on the block are ~4” wide so I need the clamshells that fit or I need smaller motor side brackets.

Want to get this motor in and see how much room I have to work with so I can pick a radiator/see about putting in/doing the Taurus fans, etc.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts