Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know this question has probably asked before, but i am having trouble finding a 73 nova custom fuel sending unit. i know that they do not make any reproductions, but are there other cars that are equivalent to it.
thanks

·
Registered
5,681 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can use a sending unit from a 76. It fits the tank perfectly, you just have to shorten the output line to match where the 73/74 connects. I just did this last August, if you need more info let me know. The tank and sending unit were Spectra Premium, tank PN was GM2108 and sending unit PN was FG103A

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm working on a 78. The fuel gauge always shows full so I'm assuming it has a bad fuel sending unit? Is this correct? I was looking under the car to findout how to replace it, do you have to pull the tank off to do this??

Thanks
SG

·
Registered
25 Posts
It was a double, the actual fuel line is 3/8 and I beleive the vent line was 5/16. You have to trim both of them a bit but it is a piece of cake. I will try to see what pictures I have and get them posted as soon as I can.

·
Registered
25 Posts
blue78nova.....

You can check the resistance of the sending unit with a mulit-meter (if you have one) to see if it is working correctly. The wire you are looking for connects to the top of the tank and heads to the back of the car, goes into the trunk where it connects to the wiring harness, it should be and orange wire. There should also be a ground wire that connects the tank to the chassis. You should get a reading somewhere between 0 and 95 ohms on your meter between the orange wire and ground, based on how much fuel is in the tank. Let me know if you need more help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
blue78nova.....

You can check the resistance of the sending unit with a mulit-meter (if you have one) to see if it is working correctly. The wire you are looking for connects to the top of the tank and heads to the back of the car, goes into the trunk where it connects to the wiring harness, it should be and orange wire. There should also be a ground wire that connects the tank to the chassis. You should get a reading somewhere between 0 and 95 ohms on your meter between the orange wire and ground, based on how much fuel is in the tank. Let me know if you need more help.
Thanks for the response. So I'm looking for an orange wire somewhere in the trunk? The car has been sitting for a while and only started being driven the last week. Since the fuel gauge is stuck at full should I just replace the sending unit? I'll also check with the meter. What will the meter tell me?

·
Registered
25 Posts
No problem, glad I can be of help!

I will post some pictures and a better explaination this weekend sometime as I will be working on my car. My Nova is a 74, I am assuming it would be pretty much the same as far as wire color and location.

·
Registered
34 Posts
No problem, glad I can be of help!

I will post some pictures and a better explaination this weekend sometime as I will be working on my car. My Nova is a 74, I am assuming it would be pretty much the same as far as wire color and location.
Thanks! I'm new to chevys and this car is a lot newer than my 67 mustang. I started a thread about some stuff i need help working on but I haven't gotten any responses. I'm not sure if I posted it in the right spot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts