Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 743 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
73 Nova Custom Hatchback Skyroof build.

So I thought I would post up here. I started a build thread on another nova site, but could use some more help and input along the way. So the story goes like this. Its a Denver car purchased from Stevenson Chevrolet back in 1973. The work order sheet says it was shipped from Van Nuys California to Stevenson. The original owner wanted a Nova Custom with the factory Ventura II Skyroof option. The build sheet even has it listed. The nova stayed in the family. It was driven as the family car for years, until the son inherited it from Dad in which he drove it through high school.

Dad took car back eventually and it sat in an RV lot for 10 years rusting away, luckily in Denver where humidity is low. Rain eventually took its toll in the hatchback area. The daughter eventually talked her dad in to giving her the car and drove it for a few years until just recently when she needed to sell it as she didn't have the means to restore the car.

I bought it for 1800 bucks. It came with a great running 350 born in and a 3 speed 350 turbo. She said the only alteration was the transmission was upgraded in hopes of putting in a bigger engine. I'm glad the old engine stayed. I have to figure out what they did to the tranny. Maybe it was just a stall converter.

My plans for the car...
  • frame up resto
  • disc brake conversion
  • restore skyroof
  • 72 front end conversion
  • 72/73 rear end conversion (hybrid) keeping 73 tail lights, boxing in 72 rear center and bumpers.
  • hotchkis suspension front and rear
  • engine - 383 stroker, HEI, new heads, headers
  • dual exhaust crossover
  • switch column to floor shift
  • Swap to bucket seats
  • upgrade instrument cluster to gauges
  • build console
  • toying with hidden fuel cell under hatch trap door.
  • posi rear with upgraded gears, disc brakes etc.
  • lots more i'm sure....

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Welcome to the Site :waving:

Thats like the 2nd that I have ever seen in a picture. :yes:

Another one that I know of is in the West Coast in a yard....:bored:

Dont see to many 73s with a Skyroof option ( thats my opinion )...:no:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the Site :waving:

Thats like the 2nd that I have ever seen in a picture. :yes:

Another one that I know of is in the West Coast in a yard....:bored:

Dont see to many 73s with a Skyroof option ( thats my opinion )...:no:
Even more rare is that its a hatchback custom

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So all that took place from July - September of this year. I only got to drive the car 2 times before I tore it down. The blasters called today and shell is ready to go, so I have to pick it up. Not much notice, but I'm glad to start on the next phase. One question I have to you guys is, should I shoot the shell with epoxy primer this week to keep it from flash rusting? Any recommendations on what brand?

I have a ton of body work to do, including rear quarters, front floor - firewall extensions and replace the rear tail panels with the 72 - 73 hybrid and rear brace. front fenders need some patching as well, but those I still need to strip down.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I would coat it...:yes:

I dont like Bare metal being exposed...:no:

Just thinking of it there is one more that I know of.

Not much to it, but its an SS hatchback with a skyroof up in VA. I know of....

Looks like a shell, pretty much stripped except a few odd end parts in it....:bored:

I might have photos of it also, on my desktop at home....

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just picked it up on my lunch break. Surprisingly better shape than I thought it was. The worst of it is the trunk pan and rear quarters. I'll have to figure something out to replace the trunk pan with, since they don't repop the hatchback trunk pans. My hatch is in lousy shape as well. The previous owner had a replacement hatch, but they ended up in a divorce battle and he is hoarding it from the lady I bought the car from. Hopefully they get it settled before I'm ready to go to paint or I'll have to fix this one or find a new one somewhere..

I will post up the pictures later...

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Nice to see another Skyroof car out there. Will certainly be a neat car once finished :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is the damage report.....

Looks like the quarters are not as bad as I thought. The firewall has some holes, windshield channels need some work, trunk is shot... What do you guys think a plan of attack should be?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Now there is some work.....

But not as bad from what I have seen......

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
frame prep

Got the Subframe prepped with phosphoric acid. Seems to be working pretty quick. Anyone have input how long I should leave this go and should I reapply again or just let it go. I hear you just wash it off with water and dry before taking the wire wheel to it again. I think I'm going to epoxy prime along side the shell in next day or so..

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
I had mine sandblasted and put POR15 on it.....:yes:

Seems to be holding up.....

With that I surely do not not..... Wish that I could help up....:eek:

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Looks like a great car to restore!!! A little rusty but not too bad compared to alot of them. I have NEVER seen another 73 skyroof, or even heard of one.

As for other Nova sites on the net... no need to bother... this is THE Nova site.

Good to see that you are stripping the whole thing down and doing it right. Gonna be a VERY nice and VERY rare car !! Good for ya!!

1 - 20 of 743 Posts